SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Has anybody put a remote start kit on their 95? I have an auto but have been reluctant to do it with all the shiny jap stuff on e-bay. It all looks a bit cheap and worrying if something goes wrong. Ideally I would like the remote start and turbo timer but would like to know somebody who has done it..?

Cheers, Scott.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
scotw001 said:
Hello. Has anybody put a remote start kit on their 95? I have an auto but have been reluctant to do it with all the shiny jap stuff on e-bay. It all looks a bit cheap and worrying if something goes wrong. Ideally I would like the remote start and turbo timer but would like to know somebody who has done it..?

Cheers, Scott.
I think it's been done on the 9-5, but requires a good amount of fidgeting to get the car to start w/o a key in the ignition. The 9-5 is pretty damn picky about that.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I believe you can't circumvent the immobiliser setup, so whoever did install the remote start before had to "implant" an immobiliser chip from the key permanently in the vicinity on the ignition antenna. Obviously, that renders the whole idea of immobiliser useless. Furthermore, if your car happens to be stolen and the insurance company asks you if you left the car with the key in it, the only honest answer is "yes"...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers. The thing is that this has been done on many cars. With the 95 auto, it would be very difficult to nick if there is no key in the ignition to release the gearstick locked in park. Also, once the door is opened on the car, you have 30 seconds to get the key in or the car immobilises itself and turns the engine off, whilst the alarm is going off, on all the products I have been looking at.

Whilst the insurance companies aren't going to like it (they will charge for anything they can) the car is still very safe. I am going to do this as I see it is very safe but I need to find someone who has done this to find a good product.

Thanks for the advice but we are all specultaing and haven't had someone who has tried this and failed / suceeded).

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
When you see those wrist-thick bundles of wires behind the panel, and consider allowing some teenage stereo installer to hack into those, and add on all the potential electrical problems that can be caused, is it really worth the risk?

·
Registered
708 Posts
In my experience remote car starter manufacturers do the research on how to inplement their systems into cars. The people I dealt with on my other cars knew exactly which wires to tap into including the direct ignition to read the first cranks, all from very specific manufacter's installation notes.

As for the key transponder (immobilizer) they use a fake ignition barrel with a secured spare key to authenticate to the car's system that yes you can start the engine.

The most complex is actually on manual cars, but with the proper exit procedure even they can be made to remote start very reliably.

Regards,
CSE_20

Edit: One such method pdf below
http://engines911.com/asdocs/TB-350_ag_en_h100s100v100_020114.pdf
This applies upto 2002 Saab 9-5

·
Registered
42 Posts
scotw001 said:
Cheers. The thing is that this has been done on many cars. With the 95 auto, it would be very difficult to nick if there is no key in the ignition to release the gearstick locked in park. Also, once the door is opened on the car, you have 30 seconds to get the key in or the car immobilises itself and turns the engine off, whilst the alarm is going off, on all the products I have been looking at.

Whilst the insurance companies aren't going to like it (they will charge for anything they can) the car is still very safe. I am going to do this as I see it is very safe but I need to find someone who has done this to find a good product.

Thanks for the advice but we are all specultaing and haven't had someone who has tried this and failed / suceeded).
I have installed 4 units from Bull Dog security. I have been happy with all of the units. I have not done this to my 9-5 but I have been thinking about it with this early winter. They have a wiring diagram for the 9-5 so someone has done this before.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Reverse lock-out is not a big deal, you can disable it. But remember, you'll have to use your e-brake in cold weather conditions, and chances are, it'll freeze locked and then you'll be up $&#@ creek.

·
Registered
708 Posts
SectorNine50 said:
Reverse lock-out is not a big deal, you can disable it. But remember, you'll have to use your e-brake in cold weather conditions, and chances are, it'll freeze locked and then you'll be up $&#@ creek.
Now that you mentioned it, it wouldn't be a bad idea.
If someone nudges you car, i would rather it be the brakes only holding the car in place than WITH the reverse gear IN GEAR.

Cables like many things if not used regularly will not work properly.
Regards,
cse_20

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
cse_20 said:
Now that you mentioned it, it wouldn't be a bad idea.
If someone nudges you car, i would rather it be the brakes only holding the car in place than WITH the reverse gear IN GEAR.

Cables like many things if not used regularly will not work properly.
Regards,
cse_20
The engine will turn WAAAYYY before you break a gear.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Just asking, but what about if someone slams into the car?
Body work aside, I think the tranny would take a beating.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
cse_20 said:
Just asking, but what about if someone slams into the car?
Body work aside, I think the tranny would take a beating.
You'd be surprised, the tranny is actually pretty safe in this event.

The engine turns relatively easy. And even if the engine didn't turn, the front wheels would slide before any damage was done. Think about what happens when you drop the clutch when you rev up the engine: the wheels spin. Think about what happens when you pop start: the engine turns and starts when you drop the clutch. The transmission is built to withstand this kind of stuff, it does it all the time.

This is the reason water in the engine will bend rods. The momentum of the car turns the wheels, which goes through the transmission and into the engine, and since water doesn't compress, the piston is stopped dead in it's tracks and the weakest link just happens to be the rod.

·
Registered
137 Posts
So about the Remote start business im a first class certified installer through the Mobile Electronics Cirtification Program "MECP" With the immobilizer on the 9-5 it is controlled by a certain resistance (vehicle specific as in car by car not model by model) the is transfered from the key to the ignition module further down to a immobilizer unit in the vehicle. What we do to bypass this on the 9-5 is place a module with the key located inside into the vehicle. Now this unit only activates when the status output from the remote start system sends a signal the the immobilizer bypass system. so your car cannot just be "hotwired" since this key is in there. Now i only use directed alarm systems because they have proven time and time again to be the most reliable. for a simple remote start keyless system the Viper 160xv would be an ideal unit as we know there is no reason to get rid of the factory alarm system. once this is installed to take care of the alarm system activating and shutting the vehicle down. there is a factory alarm disarm wire that is utilized to take care of this situation. also there are various safety features that protect the car from just being driven off. again Directed does a good job with this including a over-rev shutdown (if revs exceed a specified limit while the remote start is in control it shuts the vehicle down. there is a brake shut down so if the brake is applied to shift from park it shuts the vehicle down. as well as a timed run period. So even when these remote start systems your car is still very safe and reliable. The hardest part of this vehicle is getting to the ignition harness which is obviously located under the console so this does add security to the install as modules can be placed under there and be extremly difficult to access in a small amount of time. i beleive i have answered all the questions if not let me know.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice one guys, apprecite your help. I will look at the model mentioned by 'LiketoSaab' but the big issue is always finding the right person to do it. I am worried about letting a spotty psycho with a pair of wire cutters loose on my car. I would really like this facility so will persue!

In reference to all of this can the 'boot realese button' be programmed for the remote start rather than replace the key fob or add another gaget? It seems like the right thing to replace as you can always open the boot in the car!

Thanks,

Scott.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Make sure the person working on your vehicle is MECP certified and has some experiance with euro vehicles.

·
Registered
137 Posts
true...... hmm maybe I should refer to the left before makeing statments that are, how should I say this "Location dependent" ;oops:

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
likestosaab said:
true...... hmm maybe I should refer to the left before makeing statments that are, how should I say this "Location dependent" ;oops:
Nah, your renegade style is refreshing and exciting! :lol:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Why'd someone really need a function like remote start? Is it just "look, I can start my car by pushing remote button, isn't it cool?" or for what?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know I know but, I really want it for the cold mornings if I am being honest;) .

I have 2 young kids and it would be a great little perk to have the car warmed up on the mad rush in the mornings especially when its frozen etc.

If it is a reasonably inexpensive job and nothing is going to be compromised it's woth a look!;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts