SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all:)

I have just bought a 2001 9-3 SE ..it only came with 1 remote key.. I have bought a similar used key from Ebay.. is there a way of getting this key modified to work for my car inc door/boot unlocking?
I'd like to do it as cheaply as possible so would like to avoid a main dealer. I live in Edinburgh, U.K.

Sorry if this is a common question (as I suspect it is)..tried to search forum but couldn't find anything).

Thanks in advance for any advice ;ol;

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Best thing to do is to get a duplicate key from the main dealer, install the electronics from the used key into it and then have either the main dealer or other SAAB tech with a Tech 2 unit program the new/used key into the car along with the existing key.

A friendly tech could do a 1 physical key, 2 remote tops programming swapping the electronic tops during the programming. You'd still only have 1 fully functional key, but a 2nd remote that could be a safety net if you ever loose the original.

No real way to avoid finding a service center with a Tech 2 unit except.....

I've seen used TWICE units, with keys and lock sets fairly reasonably priced. Bit more work changing out the lock cylinders but it's basically plug and play. Still best to program the TWICE for the body style (more Tech 2 work) but you might find a set from a similar model and could avoid that need.

·
Registered
18,938 Posts
The key FAQ is always a good start when you're looking at these issues: http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/faq/keyfaq.pdf

win_k is right though... buy a remote key (all-in-1) and have them cut it (or order it that way) from Saab. Assuming parts are flowing again, the costs for a blade with shell was only $40 USd. Dealers charge anywhere from $35USd to $75 to program in your keys and remotes (they all need to be done at once, or re-done together).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts