SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an anti-theft function to where I can not start my car unless I use my remote control. My problem is that I live in Guam (where there are no saab dealers) and my remotes are acting up. One remote quit working and the other works for a week and then I must change the batteries. How can I disable this feature so I can just start my car.

This anti theft feature activates automatically after 5 minutes of teh engine being shut off. Once activated the remote is the only thing that will deactivate it (the key will open the door but will set off the alarm and the car will not start).

I have emailed several Saab dealers to purchase 2 new remotes but so far I have found no one willing to assist me.

I have a 1998 Saab 900S 2.3L

Thanks for any and all help.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I think you are stuck, your car will have the Saab VSS alarm.

The remotes will be no use to you, as they have to be programmed to the car with Tech2. Also to programme the new remotes you must have a working old remote to deactivate the imobliser.

Its impossible I thing to bypass the system, the engine managment system is looking for digital code from the alarm system.

A possability is to find an engine managment module of pre VSS alarm car, I think VSS only became standard from 96.

Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What is tech2? I found a website that sells the remotes and ordered two. Now if I cannot use them I just wasted money. I can make the remote work with new batteries so that is not an issue.

Assuming my remote will disable the alarm, how can I program the remotes?

Thanks

·
Registered
231 Posts
The remotes are all blanks, no codes.

You will require either a dealer or indie who has a Tech2 (mobile computer that plugs into your cat and communicates with the different computers, including the alarm) to programme your new remotes to your car.

Without this, the remotes are useless.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK so how do I get a tech2? Can I purchase one? problem is that there are no Saab dealers in Guam. There are not even mechanics that work on Saabs. In fact there are maybe 2 Saabs on island (if that). I can't risk not having my vehicle because the remote doesn't work. Can't sell the car if the remotes don't work. Can't ship my car if I can't start it.....so I gues I am SOL. Only choice I have is to buy a tech2 (if possible).

Any thoughts.... thanks

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
A tech2 runs for an absurdly high amount of money, and in fact I don't know if they can be attained outside of the Saab dealer network, since it's a dealership tool, and I doubt Saab wants a lot of people to get their hands on it (not even a local indie shop in my area has one). This appears to be the data for it, but it requires the machine that the software gets loaded onto.

Check out this thread, this could end up saving you from a lot of trouble. Though you loose the alarm and immobilizer, you'll regain the ability to use your car and just use the deadbolt feature. Are their any car electronics or car alarm installation places in Guam? They should easily be able to crack the alarm/immobilizer, if they say they don't know tell them you can get the wiring diagram for them. At that point PM me and I'll get it to you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the links.

I am a little concerned with jumpering the terminal board. I would hate to actually screw something up that no one on island can fix. I will certaily check at some of the alarm places to see what they can do.

If you can email me the wiring diagram anyway because it can only help.

Thanks

·
Registered
231 Posts
Is it a VSS alarm.

I would check on the alam module for the part no and post it on the forum, if its a VSS alarm, I dont believe you can bridge the immobiliser.
On the non VSS alarm you can bridge the system, by bridging the 3 immobliser circuits.
I think you can tell wich one you have by, with the car immoblised and trying to start the car.
VSS cars will crank/turn over and Non VSS cars will not crank/turn over (ie no power to starter motor.
As i said on prev post, cars with VSS alarm use a digital code. Dont think you can bypass it??

The alarm module is under the front left seat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I looked under both seats and could not find the immobilzer? I will keep checking....

When I try to start the car without disabling the immobilizer, the car will not crank. I get power to the radio etc but it will not turn over.

Thanks for the help. I got an email from the dealer pretty much sayig that they are sorry but I am SOL in Guam. There is nothing they can do for me.....ahhhh.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
hwgost said:
I looked under both seats and could not find the immobilzer? I will keep checking....
Its under the carpetting. Towards the door, if you pull the plastic strip that says 'Saab' that is located as you get in the car that covers where you go from the outside metal to the carpet edge and then pull the carpet up you should be able to see it.

I dunno if its as simple as putting that software onto a laptop and then connecting a wire to your car. Pretty sure if has to be a Tech2 machine that the software gets loaded onto. Email will come this afternoon.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If your ’98 is like my ’97 you have to unlock the car (turn off the alarm with the remote). After that you don’t have to use the remote ever again. Just lock the doors with the key or manually and the alarm will never turn on. You loose the function of the remote but the car should work just fine otherwise.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Slaab4life - Thanks, I will check tonight when I get home.

Nikkidanjo - With my 1998 car, the anti-theft portion automatically activates after the car has been turned off for 5 minutes. Even when I don't lock my car I must deactivate the anti-theft alarm in order to start my car. I wish it were that simple.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I was looking on ebay at the software and the seller told me that I don't need a tech 2. The seller stated that all I needed was a laptop and the software. Anyone hear of this????

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts