SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remind me why we fool around with these saabs trying to reach 300HP, when other brands are there before they are touched?

I just checked out a totally incredible, totally tricked out WRX STI, laying down 585HP to the wheels. This car was done so right. Perrin Performance upgrades. Total suspension overhaul, adjustable camber adjustments, Brembo big brakes, BBS rims, Perrin big Mofo IC, and enormous turbo, EBC and the list continues...all for $18K. The car drove incredibly.

I am trying to remember why we have picked saabs to dump our money into?
Someone reel me in...

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I just need 50 more hp and I'm ready.

You know, I don't know. Good question. Actually, it's better asking why people dump money into a civic just to get 200hp.

Of course, a 500+hp 9-5 aero sure would be nice. :cool:

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
You sat in it, right?
You saw the boring interior? You wondered where the SID was that can be seen by all your passengers?
and you're still asking this question?!?
Not to mention you've seen what it looks like?!?
A Viggen Coupe, to me, is far sexier then any Subaru. ;)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
i dont know, i usually wonder about the same thing, i just like the saab cuase its unique, but i would rather take a 585hp sti over my current 230hp SE.......

and i got my car for 15, so for three more K i would go for it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
As all these guys have already said and our friend Robert Frost once said,

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."

Somtimes the difference is in the $$ we have to spend on parts but other times its in the uniqueness our choice, and the double takes we get from people trying to see what that really was. Not to mention that we are safe while doing so. Anyone car make a car uber powerful but can they also be safe and classy at the same time? I was looking up the new 9-5? maybe can't remember really which but it got an UNPRECIDENTED(no other car had EVER gotten it) safety award.

ps. sorry i had to pull out the poetry, but it fit:roll:, and its post 100 had to make it special

·
Registered
221 Posts
since when could you get a STI for 18K!?!?! crazy. i didn't know that they were that cheap now. but yeah, i know what you mean. but we can get our saabs up to 585hp or more, if we have the money and do the right things to it. you said that they did everything right and pretty much everything they could. well, if you do that to a saab, it will have over 550hp easy. the thing is, it is harder to work on a saab. saabs are also not as popular, so it will cost much more to tune a harder/not-to-popular car compared to a easy tunable car. but saabs can put just as much power as pretty much anyone else. i don't mind putting in the extra cash for something so unique, great looking, safe, pretty quick, and amazing inside. saab's inside blows away the honda's and acura's and subaru's stuff. so, really, all you have to do is know the right people and know all about saabs, and you'll be able to get a kinda old saab with 500hp+ for less then 20K. :)

and also it is so great when you blow the doors off of a WRX or Evo or something like that, who has no clue what a saab is. just leave them there crying. :)

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
SPATL - are we supposed to believe that someone has a "585 bhp" (please post dyno sheet - lol!!) sti with a buttload of other high-priced upgrades for $18k?

sheesh!!

I will pay $20k right now - where do I sign?!?!?!?

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Guys, I think he meant that 18K was the cost of the upgrades....

·
Registered
113 Posts
why pick a saab: difference in styling, rare, soild cars. This is why i picked it, they arent overly powerful but a 300whp saab viggen would haul some ***.

You cant compare the two cars in my mind, the STi is more of a purpose built car it comes with 300hp already, AWD etc etc. Plus subarus have the added benefit of many tuners out there that supply them with big turbo programs for their stock engine managments....

Plus from reading on the forums ive realized one thing about saab tuning; there is virtually NO saab tuning. Ive heard little to nothing about guys playing with a standalone, little to nothing about guys running big turbo setups, actually ive heard nothing but i might be wrong so im not ruling out that someone out there has something.... point is, 300whp probably isnt hard to reach with a 2.3 or 2.0L motor, it is with tiny viggen turbos and such, but put a GT30r turbo on this motor or a large T3/4 57trim just say... instant 350-400whp+ as long as you can tune that is. heck you can get companies such as weisco to make custom pistons, or pauter to make custom rods, i dont think anyones done it but its available!

hell i personally know one dude that has 400whp on a 2L 16v motor but its not a saab, so very possible to do if you have the right connections.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
There are tons of 9000's that put out over 300HP and Kevin Yanktons NG900 is supposed to be in the 400HP range so it is possible. Nordic and Maptun have cars running high 300HP ranges too so the possibilities are out there you just have to put the time and money into it to get it there.

Remember that a car like an STi is still not as impressive as you think on the freeway even with alot of HP. Their gearing is not the best and that is a statement right from 1/2 the guys I know who have Sti's.

We bout SAAB's because we wanted to run smething that had some class and character along with a turbo and to not be part of the sheep out there.
Remember the look on the guys face the first time you smoked some guy with a turbo eclipse with a fart can on it and that should be memory enough.

For me its the memory of the guy in the WRX (non STI) with the exhaust and loud BOV that I raced (at the track of course) in my 1986 C900 that I smoked by almost 1 1/2 car lenghts. When the guy got next to me his jaw was hanging open and he asked how my POS was able to do that which I replied with "Its a SAAB thats how!!"

Dont give up the dream!!:cheesy:

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
spatl the answer is easy ;) its cus saab's are driven by gentle men and subaru's aren't and i have it on good authority that scubby engine regulaly need rebuilds befor they hit the 60,000 mile mark :eek:

·
Registered
106 Posts
The quote used to be "Mustangs are like a**holes, everybody has one." but now WRXs have taken that place. Saabs are different(and better), who wants to be the same as everyone else out there. I mean yeah i wish i had the AWD, but it makes up for it in every way. I love the look on peoples faces when they turn and see that its a Saab that just made that noise. One time me and the other Mark were at a car show, and we were the only 2 Saabs there, and a guy came up and started talking to me about my car so i started it up and reved it so he could hear it, and apparently almost everyone there turned and looked, but here is the difference they kept looking, they didnt go oh its just another.....

·
Registered
243 Posts
Remind me why

Simple(girls-notice-the-car),they are one of the most attractive(girls-notice-the-car) cars around. I have people(girls-notice-the-car) ask me often what type of car(girls-notice-the-car) I drive. I had an M3 gear up to race me(girls-notice-the-car) and I knew full well he would smoke my 9-3. And let us not forget girls notice the car!:cool:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Matter of opinion I guess ...

Easy for me though, subaru doesn't have a convertible in their line up :cheesy:

Not to mention I would rather be associated with you guys then the WRX / STi crowd. Scary bunch they are. :cool:

·
Registered
335 Posts
DaGerman said:
since when could you get a STI for 18K!?!?! crazy. i didn't know that they were that cheap now. but yeah, i know what you mean. but we can get our saabs up to 585hp or more, if we have the money and do the right things to it. you said that they did everything right and pretty much everything they could. well, if you do that to a saab, it will have over 550hp easy. the thing is, it is harder to work on a saab. saabs are also not as popular, so it will cost much more to tune a harder/not-to-popular car compared to a easy tunable car. but saabs can put just as much power as pretty much anyone else. i don't mind putting in the extra cash for something so unique, great looking, safe, pretty quick, and amazing inside. saab's inside blows away the honda's and acura's and subaru's stuff. so, really, all you have to do is know the right people and know all about saabs, and you'll be able to get a kinda old saab with 500hp+ for less then 20K. :)

and also it is so great when you blow the doors off of a WRX or Evo or something like that, who has no clue what a saab is. just leave them there crying. :)
I like my saab, but who here has beaten an sti or evo? Anyone?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts