SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my Bosch alternator went bad and I switched to a reman unit from AC Delco. Long story short, when disconnecting the battery on the new alternator, the car just dies, so I'm guessing either my connections are off or the alternator is just bad. To get started, do my connections look right? Also included is a photo of the AC Delco alternator. I had to transfer the capacitor unit from the Bosch over.

·
Registered
13,021 Posts
...when disconnecting the battery on the new alternator, the car just dies....
Don't do that. Ever.

It can not only kill your electronics with voltage spikes, but also the alternator you think you're testing.
Where's the little green and white Field wire that controlled the charge rate? Alternators are not all the same. You can't just mix&match parts.

·
Registered
8,889 Posts
Never disconnect battery running car.
You might blow up all electronics.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
That's all the connections the original alternator now removed and ready to be replaced on the B212 motor in my 92 sedan has. Ground connection to motor, big B (to starter and battery), and the D connection.

Agreed that the alternator to battery connection should never be interupted while the engine is running.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't do that. Ever.

It can not only kill your electronics with voltage spikes, but also the alternator you think you're testing.
Where's the little green and white Field wire that controlled the charge rate? Alternators are not all the same. You can't just mix&match parts.
ok

Never disconnect battery running car.
You might blow up all electronics.
That's all the connections the original alternator now removed and ready to be replaced on the B212 motor in my 92 sedan has. Ground connection to motor, big B (to starter and battery), and the D connection.

Agreed that the alternator to battery connection should never be interupted while the engine is running.
Connections were good, there was an open in the exciter circuit, thanks guys

1 - 5 of 5 Posts