SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow Saab folks.

Just wanted to give some quick information about how I relocated my front license plate on the cheap, in case anyone else is thinking of doing the same.

I live in Oregon, so I can't remove my front plate completely unless I want to get harassed by the police. I don't need any excuses to get pulled over these days.

My FMIC should be delivered this Thursday so I'm going to install it this weekend. I wanted to move my front plate out of the way to get better flow to the FMIC. I also kind of want to cut the opening in the bumper and make it a little larger if I can without hacking it up too bad.

So here's what I did. The plate was originally in the middle, I'm guessing stock location. When I pulled the plate bracket off I noticed that they drilled straight into the bumper cover. So there were four holes.

Luckily, I live close by an ACE hardware so I went down and picked up some black plugs to stick in the holes. While I was there, I picked up a few rubber grommets as well to mount the plate in the new location.

Here's how it came out. The final product:

The plugs I used to cover the holes from the original location:

Here's how I mounted the plate. This is a shot from the top. You can see that I used rubber grommets between the plate holder and the bumper itself. I used the spacers because the bumper is curved in that location.

It was super easy, I think it looks fine, and it won't be blocking the FMIC I'll be installing next weekend. And best of all, it cost me less than $5.

Cheers!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Thats how Alfa Romeo do it too.
This is probably a daft question but your 9-5 should have a FMIC as standard or is it an upgraded one you are getting.;)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats how Alfa Romeo do it too.
This is probably a daft question but your 9-5 should have a FMIC as standard or is it an upgraded one you are getting.;)
Yeah, I'm getting an upgraded intercooler. I'm curious about a few things on the stock intercooler. One, why is it designed the way it is? The shape is such that only the lower portion is even utilized. Two, why did they sandwich it in there the way they did? Doesn't make sense to put it right up against the radiator like that. Once your coolant is warm you are probably heating the air as it passes through the intercooler.

All in all I think the stock intercooler (more like interheater) is of poor design and placed in a bad location. I'm hoping a more efficient intercooler placed in the front away from the radiator will help with heat soak and be more efficient overall.

·
Registered
425 Posts
All in all I think the stock intercooler (more like interheater) is of poor design and placed in a bad location. I'm hoping a more efficient intercooler placed in the front away from the radiator will help with heat soak and be more efficient overall.
I believe its a better design then say the tiny ones vw's and others have. Plus its much easier to pipe a fmic with saab's design so be happy lol :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
A very clean job. Maybe some white touch-up on the plugs? I agree with your statement completely. Which FMIC will you utilise? The mounting of the FMIC appears to be straight forward. Only bugger is drilling in to the bumper beam to hang the unit. Post progress report on the project!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A very clean job. Maybe some white touch-up on the plugs? I agree with your statement completely. Which FMIC will you utilise? The mounting of the FMIC appears to be straight forward. Only bugger is drilling in to the bumper beam to hang the unit. Post progress report on the project!
Yeah I hear you on the touch-up paint. I don't have any right now but I need to get some. When I do I'll scruff the plugs up and paint them really carefully, see if I can get them to disappear.

My new grill came yesterday. It's pretty cold out so I probably won't install it this weekend, but I'll have it done by next weekend for sure.

By the way. This is officially the cheapest intercooler I've ever purchased. By FAR. I've turboed a number of cars in the past and always spent more. I inspected this one and I can tell why it's cheap. The welds aren't as clean as they could be, there's some contamination in a few spots. It looks like it will work fine, but I'm going to pressure test it before I install it. I rigged up an intercooler and piping pressure tester a few years back that I've still got. I can fill it with pressure then measure the drop if any. It will be interesting, if it holds pressure, then I'm sure it will work great.

So obviously it's not cosmetically as perfect as a higher end intercooler. But the welds don't have to be perfect for it to work perfectly. I'll definitely report back on the performance.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
care to share with the group where you purchased the intercooler? Luckily, contamination on aluminum welds isnt such a big deal except for, as you said, the appearance.

I really wish there was an elegant solution to mounting the front plate. I think yours works pretty well considering there arent really any other options. Ive seen people fold the bottom quarter (just below the numbers) back and into the opening, but that looks a little ghetto to me.

Ive always considered getting one of those automated hiding plates. I can always find something else to spend $100 on though.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought the intercooler off eBay from CX Racing.

I installed the intercooler this weekend. I didn't think I was going to have enough time but everything went smoothly so I got it all done.

One question I have is, what do people do with the outside temp sensor that's located right in the middle of the grill? I unplugged it for now, but I want to relocate it somewhere so it's not right in front of the intercooler.

What do other people do?

Here's a quick crappy pic.

·
Registered
483 Posts
how cool would it be if european style plates were legal here in the states....;ol;

·
Registered
8,284 Posts
I bought the intercooler off eBay from CX Racing.

I installed the intercooler this weekend. I didn't think I was going to have enough time but everything went smoothly so I got it all done.

One question I have is, what do people do with the outside temp sensor that's located right in the middle of the grill? I unplugged it for now, but I want to relocate it somewhere so it's not right in front of the intercooler.

What do other people do?
Here's a quick crappy pic.

Don't really think a qualter sized sensor blocking the IC would be noticable, but maybe do a few runs and measure both ways...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow, looks professional. I too just purchased a FMIC from CX racing and was wondering the dimensions on your FMIC. I was alos wondering what kind of plumbing you had to purchase to mate it up with the existing plumbing for the original intercooler.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, looks professional. I too just purchased a FMIC from CX racing and was wondering the dimensions on your FMIC. I was alos wondering what kind of plumbing you had to purchase to mate it up with the existing plumbing for the original intercooler.
I don't remember off the top of my head the dimensions of the intercooler. This weekend I have to do some other stuff to the car so I'll check the dimensions at that time.

I bought a 2" universal piping kit off ebay, for like $70 shipped. It came with a bunch of piping, couplers, and t-bolt clamps. At $70 it's an AMAZING value. Even though I didn't need nearly all the piping, it was still cheaper to buy the whole kit rather than just the few parts I needed.

I'll get some pics this weekend of how I did the piping as well.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Nice Work, what about putting the license plate on the front window? Is that legal?
A lot of street lawyers will try to tell you that it is legal, but it is not. Front plates must be both visible and mounted on the car. A smart cop can ticket you twice - once for improper display, another for impeding vision of the dashboard.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here are a few more pics of how the piping is routed. It's super easy, only took about an hour to fit the pipes.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Rarelibra is correct, you can be ticketed for obstruction of vision for anything in the windscreen with perhaps the exception of the vehicle inspection sticker that they put on there.

Beads or any crap dangling, GPS, of course a radar detector is a no brainer and even the handicapped blue card. You are supposed to take the card off and only use it when you pull in to a spot, not leave it swinging.

The thing that always bothers me is that the IC is so exposed down there. What happens if you get it holed? What a mess with all of that air spilling out on the garage floor! :eek::cheesy:

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I just took my front license plate off all together ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts