SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I sold my XJR, and I think in the next month or two I'll have sold both my OG9-3 convertibles (one SE, one Viggen). Convertibles in Sacramento summers make about zero sense... ain't no top-down when it's 110 out. :(

I'm like to keep something new around - the fleet o' '60s and '80s cars lack useful AC - and I kinda want that thing to be something from this decade - but I've been with Saab for 25 years and I'm thinking about maybe trying to find a 9-3 or 9-5 Combi with a manual.

I'm a little annoyed by the B207 (vacuum & PS pumps) and have had a great experience with the B284, but finding a B284 wagon with a manual... ugh. Anywho…

If you were gonna buy a ~2007 Saab wagon with a manual... what would it be? Or, what wouldn't it be?

·
Registered
9,370 Posts
I'm a little annoyed by the B207 (vacuum & PS pumps) and have had a great experience with the B284, but finding a B284 wagon with a manual... ugh. Anywho…

In the other Ontario: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks...06/1434996067?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Similar come up in Ontario and Québec often enough. A long way to go and rust is endemic, though.

If you were gonna buy a ~2007 Saab wagon with a manual... what would it be? Or, what wouldn't it be?

First one I drive and think, "wow this is a nice car!"?? :cheesy:

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would definitely travel, but bringing a rustbucket to California seems like not a great idea. :(

I think you might be right about "whatever comes up first." I've been casually looking for months only seen one Saab wagon with a manual period.

·
Registered
9,370 Posts
I would definitely travel, but bringing a rustbucket to California seems like not a great idea. :(

You'd have a unique car. :cool: On the one hand, Saab bodies are generally not vulnerable to rust, except for certain weak points such as 9-5 doglegs. On the other hand, there are plenty of really hard to remove fasteners, and a tap and die set is one of the most useful tools that I have: used to clean up rusty threads all over the car.

[quote'I think you might be right about "whatever comes up first." I've been casually looking for months only seen one Saab wagon with a manual period.[/quote]

They're not crazy rare in eastern Canada, though they do come in waves it seems. 9-3 2.0 manual wagons seem to be the most common, followed by 9-5 wagons (I don't think there's as significant a difference between the various flavours of 2.3 engines as there is between the 2.0 and 2.8.)

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A B207 is last on my list... I'd do it if I got desperate, but I'm mostly non-plussed by that motor and its various issues. It's a nice motor to drive but not worth the hassle. I think. Who knows? Here's to the path of least resistance!

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you're considering a 9-5 manual wagon from 06-09, consider that there were only 319, across all models, made for the US market.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow! I had no idea. Is there anything about that small number that's worrisome? Maintenance points not in common with the sedan? Shocks maybe?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not much really. Just means one will be harder to find. Also, somewhere in 04/05 they went to a b08/b12 designated transmission which has a different shift arm/rod from the earlier MY's. Trannies are the same otherwise along with most of the mechanicals.
I think the rear springs have a different rating on the wagons.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That makes sense.

I'm not in any particular need, I suppose, but I do like to have something[/] around with working AC, and it's none of the '60s or '80s cars I otherwise drive. :)

I'm hoping I can find the right Saab, otherwise I am going to cave and buy a Fiesta ST.

·
Registered
18,378 Posts
Last weekend I sold my XJR, and I think in the next month or two I'll have sold both my OG9-3 convertibles (one SE, one Viggen). Convertibles in Sacramento summers make about zero sense... ain't no top-down when it's 110 out. :(

Night time convertible drives after a hot day are the best.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts