SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
Saab 9-3 SE, 2001
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I searched the forum but could not find any topic on this one:
If I push the heated seat button (either driver or passenger) my windscreen wipers stop functioning. I also noticed that at the same time the outlet for the cigaret lighter stops. Maybe some other stuff will also stop but I didn't encounter that at this moment. The heated seats won't function either...
My question is: Is there a relationship between these functions??? And could the battery be a part of the problem.

FYI
I drive a Saab 9-3 SE, 2001

· Registered
20,543 Posts
If I don't use the seats (push the button) the wipers etc work fine. Only if I push the heated seat button they stop working.
Very strange. If I get a chance, I will check out the wiring diagrams later and look for some crossover.

If you're familiar with wiring, the WIS has all the diagrams: WIS and EPC for Windows - SaabCentral Forums

· Registered
Saab 9-3 SE, 2001
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very strange. If I get a chance, I will check out the wiring diagrams later and look for some crossover.

If you're familiar with wiring, the WIS has all the diagrams: WIS and EPC for Windows - SaabCentral Forums
I tried to understand the diagrams but I have to admit that I'm not that familiar with them. For me it is not that easy to read and understand them.

· Registered
406 Posts
I think that the electrical portion of the ignition switch failing. Both of these are +54 circuits from the electrical portion of the ignition switch. The heated seat fuse is directly from the switch and the wipers and stuff from the +54 relay.

· Registered
Saab 9-3 SE, 2001
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think that the electrical portion of the ignition switch failing. Both of these are +54 circuits from the electrical portion of the ignition switch. The heated seat fuse is directly from the switch and the wipers and stuff from the +54 relay.
Thank for the explaination. What should be the item I should check, test or replace? Is it the 54+ relay?

· Registered
20,543 Posts
Thank for the explaination. What should be the item I should check, test or replace? Is it the 54+ relay?
The heated seats don't run through the +54 relay. They are on a fuse that comes straight off the ignition switch. The +54 relay does also get fed through the ignition switch and then feeds power to an array of fuses. They wiper fuse is off that array.

Try this: Assuming you have a DVM or a test light, and with the heated seats off: Check for power on both sides of fuses 20, 21, 22 in the fuse box near the left door-passenger compartment. Then check fuses 3,6,7,8,14,15, & 31.

Turn the seats on and check all of those again. Report back.

· Registered
Saab 9-3 SE, 2001
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The heated seats don't run through the +54 relay. They are on a fuse that comes straight off the ignition switch. The +54 relay does also get fed through the ignition switch and then feeds power to an array of fuses. They wiper fuse is off that array.

Try this: Assuming you have a DVM or a test light, and with the heated seats off: Check for power on both sides of fuses 20, 21, 22 in the fuse box near the left door-passenger compartment. Then check fuses 3,6,7,8,14,15, & 31.

Turn the seats on and check all of those again. Report back.
I've done my homework ;)
fuze 3 is not in place because I have climate control
fuzes 20,21 and 22 give app. 7 V and all the others app. 13 V when seats are off.
When seates are turned on:
6, 7, 8, 14, 15 and 31 turn to 9V , as 20,21 and 22 turn to 0.3 V. The rest is normal voltage

1 - 11 of 11 Posts