SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a few problems, and I've seen them separately but never together on the forum here at least.

Low coolant warning. Never overheated. Replaced coolant reservoir last year. Went away for a while. A few months ago it came back. I have always checked the level since then, including adding when needed.

Recently I haven't been able to add any. The cooling fan stays on 24-7 and runs for minutes after the car is shut off. This started about a week ago. Around the same time, my a/c has gone warm.

I have no idea what the issue is.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have some of these same issues. After I replaced my waterpump I always get a coolant low message when I start it. I check it and it is sitting right where it should be based upon the tabs inside the overflow tank. I overfill it and it still says coolant low, but will vent the extra fluid out as it is designed to. I wouldn't say my fan runs all the time, but it runs a lot here recently. But its also been over 100F here for a few days. No AC issues on my side.

I assumed my sensor went bad in the overflow, but haven't tested it (I assume a multimeter will indicate a change when low if drained), but the timing right after replacing my water pump seems suspect to me. I've driven this vehicle for over 10,000 miles since that part was replaced, I observe no leaks. You'd think over the course of 10,000 miles it would have worked any air pockets out of the cooling system.

Good luck, I will be watching this thread hoping something posted here will set me down the right path too.

·
Registered
683 Posts
sensor could be gunked up in the coolant reservoir throwing a false code. One of our Aero's had this issue. Sensor is integrated into tank so need to replace again if that is the case.

is the level low when cold? how much are you adding/frequency? If it is actually losing coolant, look at thermostat housing and orings for turbo cooling pipes, common enough sources of leaks.

A/C and cooling fan issue could be related and could be a burned up/melted fan control relay box. (mounted to radiator, near battery if I recall correctly). Look for signs of melting wires there.

The fans could just be running afterwards as part of normal operation also since it's middle of summer but I'd check that radiator fan control relay/box (google search part# 24418357 -- that's the item you're wanting to inspect)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I lose no fluids ever. If I overfill it, it will vent down to a reasonable level to allow for expansion. Once it vents the excess, levels remain consistent and above the water level marks inside the tank. Hot or cold. Thing is the sensor worked flawlessly. Tore my engine down to replace the waterpump, car sat overnight, reinstalled new pump next morning. Topped off fluids and I have never been able to get the low coolant warning to disappear since. Maybe the sensor went bad overnight? Seems odd. But that's all I can think of.

The low coolant warning appear within seconds of starting the car. I've even watched the overflow tank to see if coolant levels drained down after starting the car right when the warning comes on, but the fluid levels remain within acceptable standards based upon the marks in the tank. Unless it's the sensor, I'm at a loss. I've just been hitting the clear button and ignoring it thus far. But eventually I'd like to address it.

Car never overheats. Temp gauge is rocksolid and never wavers after warming up. Zero cooling issues over the past months with the exception of a expansion tank return hose springing a leak that needed to be replaced about 3 weeks ago.

Sucks you have to replace the entire tank instead of a sensor being replacable.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I replaced the coolant temp sensor. It changed nothing.

The car STILL never overheats.

The A/C STILL doesn't work.

I'm going to put it in the shop for an estimate if nobody has any suggestions.

The most frustrating thing is the lack of information.

Because the A/C thing is new and the fan staying on is too. None of the other stuff is.

So:
System pressure is good for r134a
engine never overheats
coolant level stays constant/full
replaced coolant level sensor
cooling fan nevershuts off (I can run the car FROM COLD for 10 seconds, and the fan runs for 5-10 mins)

new blower motor 5 mos ago...

STILL no A/C...

Are there fuses or hoses I should check? Blockages?

·
Super Moderator
20,198 Posts
Sounds like a wiring issue, ECU issue, or a bad coolant tank again since the sensor is integrated into the tank. I would bet on bad tank. Parts do fail, even newish parts. What tank did you buy? Link please.

I would say AC won't come on because ECU thinks coolant is too low. Sort coolant issue before worrying about AC.

Fans coming on after shutdown is normal.

Have you tied to download WIS and troubleshoot coolant level warning? It might give pointers on using a multimeter on the wiring.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the WIS, but I'm not good with using it.

I can barely find the remove/install section for most things.

I will try the troubleshooting.

The low coolant warning has been on for months, and the A/C worked just fine until a week or two ago. Also, the A/C didn't die overnight. It started by just taking longer to get cold. It was a gradual degradation of performance over the course of a couple weeks until...nothing at all...

If it was the low coolant thing, wouldn't that have been a problem the whole time?

I can totally see a wiring or electrical issue. There was a lot of flooding a couple weeks ago that I had to go out into to help a friend. Maybe something got ruined.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts