SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just spent about an hour trying to reinstall my knee bolster. I have just found out there are about 5 new swear words that I never knew existed. PM me if you want to know what they are!;oops:

I know I have to get the driver's side under the clip, and the pass. as well. Then it has to go in high enough to put the center screw in. I don't have enough knees and arms to do the job it seems. Just when I think I've got it, one end drops down, or it isn't high enough to get the bolt in the hole. Think I'm going to get an assistant to hold in the one side.

Is it just me?

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
It can be tough but is easily a 1 man job with the right technique, I can try explain how I do it.

Get both ends of the kickboard so the ends are touching the carpet (deeper than it will sit when installed) you want to get it under there so the tabs are lined up, then push it on an angle like this \ not straight up.

So start deep with the kneeboard right up where your feet go, then move it up and back on an angle of 25 or so degrees, the tabs will just slide in. It will clip in nicely when it's right. If it's falling down on one side all the time I think that's an indication that you aren't getting the metal catches behind the tabs meaning you are probably trying to push directly up.

I'll try explain another way.

Put one end in - get the end right near the black air diffuser duct. Do the same with the other end. One you have it in deep like that, move it up, observe the angle of the metal tangs and the clips on the dash and kneeboard respectively. Maintain this angle while moving up (in my mind it is at an angle of 25-35 degrees)

Hope (but doubt) this helps!

Keep at it you'll get it

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have just spent about an hour trying to reinstall my knee bolster. I have just found out there are about 5 new swear words that I never knew existed. PM me if you want to know what they are!;oops:

I know I have to get the driver's side under the clip, and the pass. as well. Then it has to go in high enough to put the center screw in. I don't have enough knees and arms to do the job it seems. Just when I think I've got it, one end drops down, or it isn't high enough to get the bolt in the hole. Think I'm going to get an assistant to hold in the one side.

Is it just me?
I've had many swear words associated with the reassembly as well. Easily one the top most hated interior jobs on my list...

I've done it alone, but I think I have it easy, as it's a vert and I've a small frame which allows me to reach parts others may not (sounds like a beer commercial in the '80s).

It would be easier if I asked someone to help out, yes.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Success tonight - I was able to reinstall the knee bolster all by myself. However, I used a couple of tricks that might come in handy for anyone doing this alone, in their garage without the help of a SAAB toolroom.

I used the ideas previously posted and concentrated on the right side first. I alligned the clip on the pass. side and put it somewhat in place and then held it up with a Prestone antifreeze gallon jug, which got it to just the right height. Then went to the driver's side and did the same with a second jug. With it being held up on both sides, I was able to secure the center bolt.

Next, I took a 2"x6"x about 14" piece of wood and ran the power seat all of the way back, put the wood along the left hand plastic piece of the seat and ran the seat forward until it pushed the bolster forward. Note: I had to raise the bolster up a bit and after trial and error, found the hole where the bolt goes in from the fender (wing) and connects to the bolster. I used some "Moly" to hold the bolt into the 10m socket so it wouldn't continue to fall down and under the car. Did the same on the pass. side and mission accomplished!

While the guys in the bunkers have better ways, it worked well for me and might help someone along the line in the future.

Getting everything buttoned up and am getting the car insured tomorrow. First time on the road since 2003. Am not going to let anyone drive it but me until I get the brakes checked out completely.

·
Registered
436 Posts
1993?

Must be an interesting story why a '91 vert hasn't been on the road since 1993. Care to share the story? Also, what part of western New York are you located? Did 5 years in Syracuse - my years in exile as a southern boy! The apples were great though.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
God, I'm an idiot! Long days make for a scattered mind. I meant to write 2003, not 1993.

I actually bought the car in about '93 with around 13k miles on it. Loved the car but had terrible trouble with the turbo. Overheated the engine a couple of times and finally cooked it. I just completed installation of a 1989 NA and am getting it back on the road.

Car sat in my lower garage with no heat and the concrete floor had no plastic under it, so lots of moisture got to it, although supprisingly no rot through. I've replaced the convertible top, gas tank, removed the seats and used a rust converter to clean the floor pans, had my issues with some electrics and some great help here on the forum.

It seems to run pretty nicely although I haven't taken it on the road yet. Am excited to see if it is dependable and without issues.

I'm from Jamestown, NY - lived here all of my life. My sister lived in Utica and they've moved to one of the nice lakes up that way. In fact, I'm headed to the Thousand Islands for some work related business/fun within the next month or so.

Bet you don't miss the Winters!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts