SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New the this forum, but just pulled the trigger on a 2007 9-7X for my wife. So far it seems like an awesome car, and we got a great deal on it.

I do have a question on fuels, though: The OM says to use regular gas, 87 octane.

Anybody have any opinions about this? I'd like to use regular since the mileage on our 5.3 is, well, bad.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
You have a naturally aspirated engine with a relatively sophisticated engine management system. There's no need for the higher octane of premium gas, unless you're:

* towing a heavy load up hills
* in the heat of summer and towing
* heavily loaded, and it's hot and/or hilly

Save the money.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's my thinking, except I am also very conscious of "top tier" gas since here in California, at least, high sulfer content can seriously degrade the fuel sending unit causing erratic gas gauge readings. Chevron with Techron is the only gas we use, but not sure if lower octane has the same cleaning properties. Chevron says yes, but...

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I drove my 06 5.3 for 36000 miles on Chevron 87 or Mobil 87 here in SoCal with no problems regarding engine before trading it in.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
michaLcoughliN said:
All turbo / supercharged application vehicles normally require running higher octane fuel.
Normally 91 minimum.

And there is a reason behind it.

Ah, yes....but the 9-7 is naturally aspirated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts