SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 07 9-3 Aero says premium recommended, but not required. Can I use regular 87 unleaded? Any thoughts? Thx.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
There's an endless debate on it here on the forum. Just use premium, only a dollar or two extra per fill up. The car will get better mileage and run smoother.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I suggest you to put some premium gas too...
if you cant put any premium for few time for any reason regular will do the job

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
+2!

I have experimented with mid-grade versus premium, comparing gas mileage on identical drives (104 mile daily commute) numerous times on my 9-5. The results are always the same. I gain sufficient fuel mileage when using premium to more than make up for the higher purchase price.

On my wife's 9-3SC 2.0T the fuel mileage with premium is staggering. We acieved 33.4 mpg on a tank of premium when driving 80mph thru the mountains of West Virginia. Don't try this at home, we were only keeping up with the flow of traffic.

Mid-grade is a false efficiency and I won't even try 87 octane.

·
Registered
437 Posts
or you can just get a m1 abrams tank and put whatever you want in the gas tank without worry.
whatever floats your boat.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
93 from sunoco and shell. The car runs a hell of alot better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just moved from San Diego to Indianapolis, IN.
Shells 91 octane would get me around 35-36mpg highway with a BSR CAI in CA.
Now Shells 93 octane in Indy gets me around 39-40 mpg. :cheesy:

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
welcome to the forums sw1183 :lol:

it doesnt actually matter what octane you use, Saab engine management systems can adapt the the fuel used but to get the best from your car you should use the highest octane you can get.

that said I only use regular petrol :roll:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also drowe +1 year with low octane (95) gasoline, until june this year when I changed to 98 octane. What a difference! With 98 the throttle response is a lot better and torque at low RPMs is noticeably better.

I didn't have ANY problems with 95, but then again I didn't know what I was missing. Now the car works like it's supposed to. You people should give it a shot. For me upgrading the fuel made a difference.

The car is 2004 Aero 2.0T.

Just my two cents...

tunkki, Finland

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
we people can't because we have crap for gas in the states

·
Registered
35 Posts
In Australia we have three.

Normal = 91
Mid = 95
Super = 98.

I use 98 because it's only a few dollars difference. When I fill up the tank, from basically empty to full, costs me $73 USD average.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Just moved from San Diego to Indianapolis, IN.
Shells 91 octane would get me around 35-36mpg highway with a BSR CAI in CA.
Now Shells 93 octane in Indy gets me around 39-40 mpg. :cheesy:
shell in the state has 93 octane???

we only get 91 =(

ps has anyone noticed a difference between sunoco 94 and shell 91?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts