SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting my 2002 viggen registered in IL which was previously reg in Ca; can anyone tell me how they test via smog? I read that all they do is test using the odbII port and not a sniffer, is this correct?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Yes that is correct

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
If it's like the few counties in Ohio that do emissions testing, they will fail the car immediately if the CEL is on, or the Emissions Readiness flag is not set - due to disconnecting the battery to clear the CEL... Ron

·
Registered
282 Posts
Ron is correct regarding the CEL. You'll get, if I recall, three chances to pass.

In the old days, they put the car on rollers and ran it to certain speeds. I had the pleasure of watching some idiot roll the front tires of my rear wheel drive car up on the rollers and then pop the clutch. Since they required you to be completely separate from your car, I could do nothing but watch.

These days, it's pretty darn simple.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it's like the few counties in Ohio that do emissions testing, they will fail the car immediately if the CEL is on, or the Emissions Readiness flag is not set - due to disconnecting the battery to clear the CEL... Ron
Is there a way for me to check to see if the emissions readiness flag is set with a product like autoenginuity, which I have? A year ago I brought my car to the shop to marry the abs, and he found no other faults, but would the tech 2 have displayed if the car had this readiness flag?
The cel works as well. When they scan it, are they only looking for stored faults?
Thanks

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Over here, they only care about active faults that cause the CEL to light. A friend of mine has a '92 Prelude that they have to put on the dyno and check the emissions out the pipe. But they only check at 15 mph and 35 mph IIRC. It's still a PIA for people in those 17 out of 100 counties. I wonder how much gas is wasted going back and forth trying to get through e-check. BTW, over here if you can document that you've spent over $300 to try to fix the car, you get passed for a year... Ron

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm not sure what all they test for, but all things considered Illinois is pretty lax. If your car passed in CA you won't have any problems in Illinois.

Also, an emissions test is not typically required upon registration of vehicles (at least in my experience though I've never registered an out-of-state vehicle).

If you're living in Illinois, you'll get a emissions test notice by mail. I think they're every other year, maybe even a longer interval.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Coming from that crazy environmental state of Ca, this seems like a breeze. The rolling dyno sucked as my 88 spg took 3 times to pass.
I'll hook the AE and see if it comes back with anything, if not I guess I will wait and see what they say.
Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts