SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Saab 9-3 SportCombi 2.0T
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I apologize if this is in the wrong place, if so, please direct me where this should be.

Anyways, I just did the Regal Turbo clutch setup in my 9-3SC and it feels great.
I brought all of this to a reputable shop about an hour from me because, I'm sorry, bench pressing transmissions on your back is not fun when it's 20F or colder outside.

The master cylinder, hard-line, throwout bearing, flywheel bearing, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, and bolts were replaced.
The clutch grabs nice and the pedal is firm. It doesn't slip or have the throw-out bearing noise that I was dealing with before.
That being said, I have a slight screech/chirp for about three seconds or less in 1st and occasionally 2nd gear, especially when the vehicle is cold.

For those of you that have done this, did you have any unusual noises during the break-in period?
There are no drivability concerns, just an irritating noise, like a bad serpentine belt, but much much quieter.

I can't exactly say how it was driven to verify it was done correctly, but all I know is that the gentleman who did the clutch must've beat the car a bit.
He put about 50 miles on it and dropped my fuel economy down by about 10mpgs.

Thank You

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
It could be the serpentine belt tensioner. They seem to rattle a bit when cold. My auto trans '08 and '09 9-3 tensioners rattled when at fast idle and first put into reverse backing out of garage. When warm idle speed is reached - no rattle. Replaced the pulley only on my '09 but rattle persists. Replaced the entire tensioner/pulley assembly on my '08 and rattle disappeared.

While yours is manual, I suspect that it's a similar situation as you release the clutch on a fast idle and since it goes away when warm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could be the serpentine belt tensioner. They seem to rattle a bit when cold. My auto trans '08 and '09 9-3 tensioners rattled when at fast idle and first put into reverse backing out of garage. When warm idle speed is reached - no rattle. Replaced the pulley only on my '09 but rattle persists. Replaced the entire tensioner/pulley assembly on my '08 and rattle disappeared.

While yours is manual, I suspect that it's a similar situation as you release the clutch on a fast idle and since it goes away when warm.
See, that's the thing. Before I had the clutch done, I had zero noises other than the throw-out bearing.
The tensioner/belt don't make any noise when stationary though. I can always replace it though because I believe they're still the originals with 150,000 on it.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
You may not have heard it over the throw-out bearing noise. My cars didn't make the chirping noise when fast idling in Park, the noise only occurred when fast idling and then put into gear. It only lasted a minute or so until the pulley and tensioner spring warmed-up.

It may be tough to diagnose it unless you can get someone to release the clutch just after start-up as you stand on the passenger side of the car with the hood open.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You may not have heard it over the throw-out bearing noise. My cars didn't make the chirping noise when fast idling in Park, the noise only occurred when fast idling and then put into gear. It only lasted a minute or so until the pulley and tensioner spring warmed-up.

It may be tough to diagnose it unless you can get someone to release the clutch just after start-up as you stand on the passenger side of the car with the hood open.
I'll have to get the old lady to listen for me then. She's got better hearing despite her dad being one of the loudest talker's I've ever heard.

·
Registered
503 Posts
That being said, I have a slight screech/chirp for about three seconds or less in 1st and occasionally 2nd gear, especially when the vehicle is cold.

For those of you that have done this, did you have any unusual noises during the break-in period?
There are no drivability concerns, just an irritating noise, like a bad serpentine belt, but much much quieter.
Mine (also a Regal clutch) did that same exact thing for a while and eventually just stopped doing it. I never had any driveability issues either, just the weird noise. (I had kind of forgotten it had done that until I read your post.)

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
There is no pilot bearing on a FWD transaxle so not sure if putting one in ( RWD have a longer input shaft and do use one) would cause issues. AWD I have no clue the configuration but it’s dependent on input shaft length. Short input shaft = no pilot bearing .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is no pilot bearing on a FWD transaxle so not sure if putting one in ( RWD have a longer input shaft and do use one) would cause issues. AWD I have no clue the configuration but it’s dependent on input shaft length. Short input shaft = no pilot bearing .
Oh geeze. I was word vomiting it appears, but you're correct.
I had the parts for so long that I forgot everything I had in the box.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine (also a Regal clutch) did that same exact thing for a while and eventually just stopped doing it. I never had any driveability issues either, just the weird noise. (I had kind of forgotten it had done that until I read your post.)
Whew, ok. It's very annoying when I set off in 1st because it sounds like my 9-3 is every other ******* hooptie up my way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts