SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have the engine at top dead centre and need to refit the valve cover - the manual says to ensure the distributor toggle engages correctly with the cam end when refitting the cover - how do I ensure it’s on correctly ? I’m worried about screwing up the timing - thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any luck? I'm hoping to replace the leaky valve cover gasket on my 8V soon(ish) so I'm interested in anyone's tips on this topic.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was pretty straight forward - doing is learning so to speak ! When the crank is at top dead centre the valve cover will come off and you just have to kind of spin the points in the distributor to line up with the cam end recess so it goes back on - basically at the end of the cam shaft there’s a black plastic cap that has a slot that’s the the inner part of the distributor slots into

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the info! I've done a few valve cover gaskets on other cars but none of them involved the distributor at all.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah the same for me - I grew up in the UK with Ford crossflow engines and VW air cooled deals - the Swedes threw me a bit but there is method in their madness ! Genius some wound say - I can honestly say that Saab saved my life on two occasions

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Two of my other cars are old Fords with jackshaft driven distributors. On the XR4Ti (Ford 2300 "Lima" engine) I haven't had many problems yet. BUT the Falcon ("Thriftpower" inline six) the gear on the crank and the gear on the jackshaft wear resulting in slop and inconsistent timing. The camshaft driven distributor was a BRILLIANT innovation. Ignition timing is always directly related to valve timing, plus fewer moving parts to boot. Hard to believe it took as long as it did for someone to figure that out. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts