SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to refinish my aero wheels myself, instead of paying nearly $400 to have them done professionally.

These wheels are destined for a nice black 90 900T. The 90 is an ex-stolen car, it has 127k on it, nearly no rust, a poorly affixed SPG kit, and a tired looking whale tale.

The wheels should compliment the car, but they needed some work. First order of business was finding a suitable set of center caps. $12 later, a few shots of Krylon, and I have the look I am aiming for.

I hand painted in silver the saab logo on the caps.

Next was cleaning up the wheels. These wheels have seen much better days.

The aluminum is horribly corroded, and the edges are curb rashed something awfull.

I used a dremel to sort things out, I have finished 2 wheels, and will finish the grinding by the end of the week.

The green SOS pad is being used to scuff up the painted spots.

After each wheel has had the corrosion, and rashing ground down, and the paint scuffed, I will use a detail sander with a high grade sand paper, and polish up the ground aluminum.

I will shoot the wheels with Gloss black, but to keep the finish, I plan on using the poorable acrylic like used in bar tops, and restaraunt tables to protect the wheels finish from further corrosion, and chipping.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Can I have the ***-metrics?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Can you please post a pic of your car when the wheels are done? My car is black also so I am curious as to how it will look.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
As of now, the first 2 wheels have a good coat of this epoxy stuff on them. It seems to be curing clear, and is also all over me and in my hair.

It is made by a company called Envirotex lite, and is called Pour-On High Gloss Finish.

The warnings sound badass for it, I am positive this will keep these wheels nice looking for a while.

Yes, I will have fresh pics once the wheels are on. The car needs to have a hinge fixed and the whale tale touched up first.

The finish isn't perfect, but its durable, it looks a million times better than they began, and for somebody like me who gets tires at junk yards, its a great alternative to paying for a pro to do it. Cost was less than $40 U.S.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts