SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally picked up a set of RK2s to put on my black 9-5.

They started out rough and I've sanded, blasted, and cleaned for hours. They are ready for paint and I am looking for opinions, just a constructive discussion.

Before anyone says to polish the lips understand, I can't, the rash was so deep on two of the wheels it could not be sanded out and needed to be filled thus polish will not be happening.

I am considering:
a.) all hyper silver lips/barrels and centers (kinda plain though)
b.) hyper silver lips/barrels and gold centers
c.) hyper silver lips/barrels and gunmetal centers (I'm afraid they might look small though)

I'll include some pictures below, but I'm looking for advice or thoughts and preferably shots of how your RK2s look on your car.

Here is what they looked like when I first got them.

Only one bolt broke, came out without further issue then:

Here they are after a good washing:

Here is the look I am thinking about going for:

Here is my car which they will be going on:

What are your thoughts? What have you done? Anyone else NOT polish the lips?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
As long as you don't go black...

Polished lip would end up being a pain to maintain. I like the direction of hyper lip, gold center. Any contrast is going to make the wheel look small though. Gold on gold?!?

Love this look.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mostly agree on the black, the more contrast the smaller the look. Not sure about the all gold, looks good on the one piece RKs above but I'd be nervous about how it would look on a two piece wheel.

I've also considered inverting the colors with a black center and gold lip...

Or

I'm just afraid it's too out there and won't look good on the saab. I keep going back to just the hyper silver on hyper silver as a safe bet. But part of me wants to branch out a bit, all the hours if work to look like any other saab...

I just really am drawn to this one, hopefully just a more brilliant silver lip.

I'd love to see these on a saab though.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I'm really glad I went for the black powdercoat for the centers, looked amazing on my black wagon and I got compliments all the time.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I'm just so on the fence about the black centers. While all the diehards know they're OE BBS', at a quick glance they just turn into a cheapo 2-tone eBay wheel. A tragedy of the fast & furious movement I guess.

Amazing Aero wagon nonetheless Breau ;ol;

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Breau, those look real nice. I think the black centers look good with a polished lip for sure. Since I can't polish mine I didn't go that route...

So here's what I did

Finished prep, primer and 1500 grit sanding.

Hit them with some base coat

Clear coat

Put together

So I need to bolt them together, and get new black and gold BBS center caps. Then tires and up on the car... Give me another week or two hopefully to get pics on the car.

I'm pretty excited for how they turned out considering what I started with.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, they look good in person.... a little less muted than the pictures portray.

My next step will be to swap to an AERO suspension or go with some sort of lowering setup. The 2.5" wheel gap is putting me off just a little.

·
Super Moderator
11,179 Posts
I'm really glad I went for the black powdercoat for the centers, looked amazing on my black wagon and I got compliments all the time.

I am not a big fan of black wheels generally. But these wheels, black with the polished silver barrels, look like pure sExX on that black wagon. Stunning . . . Eye candy. Heart-achingly lovely.

I am thinking that some shiny black (or maybe silver) caliper paint on those calipers would look very nice in combination.

And to OP: Gold and silver retro was inspired. Well played sir.

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
What have you guys used to fill in curb rash on the RKIIs? I have a set of pretty badly curbed ones that I want to restore, but all four need to have the curb rash repaired. I was thinking of using Bondo Plastic Metal, but I'm not sure if that's the best thing to use. I'm just going to paint them some kind of brilliant silver and put them on my Viggen-ized NG900. They were originally off of my wife's 2000 9-5 Aero wagon, and were half the reason I bought that car, but she thinks they're ugly. I think she's nuts. :D

·
Registered
901 Posts
What have you guys used to fill in curb rash on the RKIIs? I have a set of pretty badly curbed ones that I want to restore, but all four need to have the curb rash repaired. I was thinking of using Bondo Plastic Metal, but I'm not sure if that's the best thing to use.(snipped...)
In general, simply sanding the crap outta the barrel will be sufficent. Deeper cuts can be filled with Plastic metal. Rocol Metal Repair Compound or even Alvin Ready-to-use Metal Repair and Patching Compound make for a good filler here. However, you won't be able to have a polished lip 'cause these fillers ain't shiny. For those with the equipment and expertise, it is possible to tig the deeper cuts and then grind/ sand the area to match the surrounding profile (much like repairing a crack without leaving the blob)

for those that may be interested, here's my refinish thread:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=391201

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
That's a heck of a write-up! I'm still not quite sure what to use to tackle the curbing on mine. It's so bad that it goes all the way around all four wheels. Whoever owned that car before me was not careful at all when parking. I've tried a file, but it slipped a couple of times and scratched the wheel. A sanding drum on a Dremel works pretty well, but wears down too quickly. I have a Fein Multimaster with the detail sanding kit that I might try, too.

Did the RKIIs originally have the barrels clearcoated, and not painted? That would explain why the centers still look okay after 15 years, but the barrels are milky and have flakes coming off of them.

·
Registered
901 Posts
That's a heck of a write-up! I'm still not quite sure what to use to tackle the curbing on mine. It's so bad that it goes all the way around all four wheels. Whoever owned that car before me was not careful at all when parking. I've tried a file, but it slipped a couple of times and scratched the wheel. A sanding drum on a Dremel works pretty well, but wears down too quickly. I have a Fein Multimaster with the detail sanding kit that I might try, too.
Without seeing pictures, a Dremel multi-max or similar may be what is required here. Careful though, it's real easy to remove too much material and alter the profile of the lip.
Did the RKIIs originally have the barrels clearcoated, and not painted? That would explain why the centers still look okay after 15 years, but the barrels are milky and have flakes coming off of them.
The barrels were clear coat polished aluminum with the centers being multi coat translucent metallic outer coat layered over a colored darker undercoat to give the wheels a deep inner glow - hypersilver.

The milky, flaky barrels are a result of the clear coat having been destroyed and contaminates getting in there.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I sanded mine a ton to bring most the rash down. The deep spots I used a metal bonding body filler. I forget which it was but it worked really nice.

If you go polished you'll have to live with the remaining rash that can't get sanded out. I'm glad I didn't polish, i have in the past and it is 100x more work to keep them up than the painted.

Anyway, good luck

1 - 20 of 23 Posts