SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I bought a set of OG 9-5 rims for winter use and they could use some love. There is some oxidation/rust/bubbling on a few spots, any guidance on refinishing?

Wst-sand out the oxidation with progressively higher grit, paint and clear coat? Is a primer needed?

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
Which rims are they? I assume alloy. ALU xxx?

I'm not sure how easy it would be to refinish them nicely, and then have the refinish last through a proper winter.

Alternative one, sand them down and plasti-dip?
Alternative two, keep your eye out for nicer rims--16" 9-5 alloy rims are cheap (but many are bent)
Alternative three, just drive them? As long as the corrosion isn't causing an air leak at the bead, so what?

(I have a set of steel rims with Saab wheel covers. The covers are plastic and never rust. You don't have to know about the condition of the steel rims underneath them.)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A purely cosmetic play, probably not worth doing. The rims are not in bad condition, I really bought them for the nearly new tires. Plastidip may be an option if I decide to do it.

Either way, this project is officially off my to-do list for fall 2019. Thanks!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Refinishing wheels properly is a lot of work and you need to be very careful to get everything right. I spent hours and hours refinishing some SAAB/BBS RK2s (one of the few wheels worth that kind of time investment) about a year ago and they turned out great. However, I now see I didn't do everything correctly and it means the quality is failing.

Probably the best way is to blast and powder coat. That will give the best, longest lasting finish. Similar to OEM.

I didn't. I stripped the finish, sanded, filled, sanded, primed, sanded, painted, cleared. But I notice now I didn't prep everything as good as I should have.

If you're going to do it, absolutely remove ALL the corrosion. Prep is key. Can you match the original paint? If not it will never look right and I'd echo the PlastiDip suggestion. Along that line, I believe there is a sprayable vinyl coating that is more durable. LOTS of color options with that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts