SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always thought the aero was going to be more than adequate when it comes to accelerating from a stop, but right now I'm thinking otherwise. As I was taking a left turn out of my neighborhood, my car hit a dead spot as I shifted to second. Though it only lasted for a second, it was quite scary since there was a car quickly gaining on me. As the boost built up it was fine. However, it's quite sad when my Jeep could clear a left turn from a stop quicker than my aero. I was going uphill too.

So what's a good mod that I could do to reduce lag that doesn't require me to change the ecu and kill my bank account?

That is, if there is such a thing. :D

Come on Chris9-5, I'm waiting for you. :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will that require an ecu upgrade to be effective? Or will the stock ecu just need to be reset?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Its a manual aero right?

There must be another problem surely, has it done this before? :confused:

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Below 2000 rpms the aero is a complete dog, I've had this same thing happen to me a couple times. When this happens now I usually stab the clutch real fast. :cheesy:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Well I'm surprised :confused:

As Kermit says, a 3" downpipe and sport/race cat will definitely improve response and spool up time :cool:

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
no amount of improvements will help if you have bogged the engine down and dont forget the turbo charged engine is lower on compression to a naturely asperted engine so will bog down easier

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
I usually rev the car to 5000 rpm then slam it into Drive..............works for me :eek:

Dont try this at home kids :cheesy:

G

·
The Td04 is a littrle laggy. there is no cheap way to fix this apart as chris says get those revs up, but thats not to clever on the clutch.

If you really wanna cure this problem then money is the only way to go.

3" downpipe race cat and full exhaust system

Race intercooler

If you really want to fly then get the fly wheel skimmed and to go really nuts change the final drive and stick a Quaife on your shoppin list

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HA! Damn, it sucks being a college student. Can't afford the "works." :lol:

Yeah, it's a manual and the thing is just as slow as Larry Flint's speech below 2k. So how much would a downpipe and exhaust cost anyways? Couldn't I just do the downpipe without the exhaust to improve the acceleration?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chris 9-5 said:
Its a manual aero right?

There must be another problem surely, has it done this before? :confused:

The funny thing about the aero is that below 2k, it's just on the brink of bogging, and above that it's more wear on the clutch. It's a bit difficult to find that certain "point" that makes easy launches perfect. It also helps if the catch point wasn't so high up or if the clutch travel was shorter. Other than that it goes like a bat out of hell. Oh well, nothing's perfect.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
So you have to change gear by hand :eek:

I guess heavy cars with turbos dont launch well then :confused:

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
So you have to change gear by hand :eek:

Three cheers for the auto tranny :cheesy:
Hey Finn :p

(who am I kidding - I still want a manual :cry: )

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
aero1116 said:
The funny thing about the aero is that below 2k, it's just on the brink of bogging, and above that it's more wear on the clutch. It's a bit difficult to find that certain "point" that makes easy launches perfect. It also helps if the catch point wasn't so high up or if the clutch travel was shorter. Other than that it goes like a bat out of hell. Oh well, nothing's perfect.
You need the genuine saab poly tranny mount, makes clutch work a great deal easier. Downside is you feel more vibration at idle, and it's painfully obvious when the AC compressor kicks on at idle.

Chris 9-5 said:
Yes, especially with the soft stock suspension. It's a delicate balance between bogging the engine, burning the clutch, and smoking the tires. Once I do the suspension I'm gonna be into 14's, I know it. :cheesy:

Finn said:
The Td04 is a littrle laggy. there is no cheap way to fix this apart as chris says get those revs up, but thats not to clever on the clutch.

Race intercooler

If you really want to fly then get the fly wheel skimmed and to go really nuts change the final drive and stick a Quaife on your shoppin list
Actually Finn I've heard a race intercooler will actually decrease off boost performance and a skimmed flywheel will worsen low end torque. :confused: Doesn't stop me wanting them though. :cheesy:

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Finn said:
Sell it and buy an auto Aero, it's not a problem then...;) :lol:

Finn said:

Race intercooler
On an otherwise standard Aero, putting the 3" downpipe, race cat and system on will loose some low end torque, not gain any:confused:
That's what the guys at Nordic told me when I enquired about fitting the Ferrita system to mine.
And the same goes for the race intercooler, not a good idea without a ECU remap if the I/C has increased flow rate. This was told to me independantly by 2 other Trionic tuners.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts