SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone heard of or had done to thier car a redrilling of the 4 lug rotors? Is it possible to have them redrilled to a five lug patter?

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
i think most of the 5 lug wheels might be too wide for the 900 wheel wells. for example, 6 inch wide and 17 inch long wheels owuld most definitely rub up, even if they are a four lug pattern.

·
Registered
70 Posts
saabchilten said:
i think most of the 5 lug wheels might be too wide for the 900 wheel wells. for example, 6 inch wide and 17 inch long wheels owuld most definitely rub up, even if they are a four lug pattern.
I have 17x7 wheels on mine, not much problem there.
But I get your point if someone was wishing to use the newer styles of SAAB wheels.

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
vectorX said:
has anyone heard of or had done to thier car a redrilling of the 4 lug rotors? Is it possible to have them redrilled to a five lug patter?
It could be done but its precision drilling, CNC type drilling is it worth it? CNC machine work is expensive because of the labour.

If there is enough material on the brake disc then maybe, but it would weaken it, honestly its best to get rotors with the correct bolt pattern.

·
Banned
637 Posts
NO it is Not precision drilling :) Having Said that the drilling does need accuracy.. BUT saab bits (like most cars) are Hub centric. Ensure that your new Rotor DOES fit the old Hub Perfectly, then using it and or an old Rotor stacked on top as a Pattern, Drill new holes using yr Drill press. A fairly common procedure.. almost always successful.. when skill is present :)

·
Registered
801 Posts
Redrilling????!!!

Firstly, 4 lugs vs 5 lugs, new angles are involved. 4 lugs obviously make a sqaure, with 4-90 degree angles equaling 360 degrees whereas 5 lugs have 5 angles of 72 degrees each equaling 360. Simply drilling holes in hubs and rotors won't do anything more than waste time (not to mention weaking crucial components). If you can find hubs that will bolt/press in, then acquire proper rotors you could do it, unforutnately the the newer saabs are a COMPLETELY different beast from both old 900's and 9000. Custom wheels could be made to mimic saab 5 lugs as 4 lugs (have seen some on ebay) but it is pricey.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
this sort of mod is regularly carried out in the VeeDub worl, so as to get later 4lug vehicles to run with early (and ofetn better looking), 5lug rims (porsche, empi etc) , but have never heard if it being expensive at all

admitidly, veedub hubs are bigger in diameter, and usually experience less stress than our boosted beauties.....

ive even heard of some people managing to get blank hubs and rotors, enabling your own hole pattern to be drilled, although dunno if poss for saabs:roll: typical

good luck
G

1 - 8 of 8 Posts