SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,177 Posts
Threads specific to the 9000 and the red v. black DIC issue:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190095&highlight=thyristor

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216042&highlight=thyristor

Saab Technical Service Bulletin explaining the difference between the T5 & T7 DIC/IDM and cautioning AGAINST using the incorrect version:

The DIC/IDM is generally not serviceable - it cannot be repaired. However, the DIC/IDM found on the Saab 9000 in model years 1987-1992, including the 91-92 9000 I, naturally aspirated 2.3L, which used a DIC but not T5.2, and the 91-92 9000T, 2.3L turbo, which used Direct Ignition with the old APC engine management, Hall effect crank sensor & external knock sensor can be fitted with individual replacement coils (Part No. 7589815) available via Saabsite.

If it is the internal electronics that have failed, nothing can be done to repair the unit. The thyristors (Triacs in the case of T7 DICs), capacitors and signal processors in ALL versions of the DIC are completely encased in the epoxy and it is a destructive process to expose them. So, there are no serviceable internal electronic parts for Trionic DICs for 9000, NG900, OG 9-3 and OG 9-5. In addition to the aforementioned replaceable coils for the eligible 9000 models, the plastic bottom (if it has cracked), the spring contacts within the boots (if any have gone missing or been hopelessly deformed) and the external harness to the DIC/IDM itself, can be serviced/replaced for DIC equipped 9000, NG900, OG9-3, and OG 9-5.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
The thyristors (Triacs in the case of T7 DICs), capacitors and signal processors in ALL versions of the DIC are completely encased in the epoxy and it is a destructive process to expose them. So, there are no serviceable internal electronic parts for Trionic DICs for 9000, NG900, OG 9-3 and OG 9-5.

X2 - I tried to get to the electronics one time. I saw the epoxy they are encased in, and quickly realized that it wasn't going to happen:

·
Registered
27 Posts
DI connector pin positions

May be a dumb question, but I'm trying a diagnostic for my 96 Aero (Red DI Cassette) and the instructions refer to pins 6 & 10 in the connector. Which ones are they? Can't find a diagram anywhere - mine has only 9 pins in it!

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
May be a dumb question, but I'm trying a diagnostic for my 96 Aero (Red DI Cassette) and the instructions refer to pins 6 & 10 in the connector. Which ones are they? Can't find a diagram anywhere - mine has only 9 pins in it!
The DI connector is a 10 pin connector of which 9 are pinned. The pins are labeled, either on the side or the top of the connector.

Pin #10 should be your power--thick red/grey wire. Pin #6 should be your earth--black wire.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Just had mine apart--the corners of the connector have raised #'s. You should see the "6" and "10" clearly after a little cleaning. You might need a magnifying lens as well...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just had mine apart--the corners of the connector have raised #'s. You should see the "6" and "10" clearly after a little cleaning. You might need a magnifying lens as well...
Thanks guys - I'll get back in to it later today. She just suddenly wouldn't start and I did the fuel pump a few months ago. I'll run through Ari's test sequence further but I think it may be the CPS - the tacho needle isn't "bouncing" which someone said indicates CPS - 310,000 KM (nearly 200,000 miles) on the clock and only recently a few little niggles like this. I buy my parts from eEuroparts in the US and normally takes only 2-3 days to get to New Zealand so hopefully I'll be up & running again this week. In the meantime luckily I have my 2004 9-5 Aero to drive, but something about my 9000 gives me more pleasure even though it's got a few less HP

1 - 8 of 8 Posts