SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1992 saab 9000 s, 2.3l, non turbo with a hatchback.

I look online and i see all sorts of opinions. What is the right DIC.

I checked mine it is black and i esily pulled the white clip off by hand, and i noticed it is not the white clip with the red sliding bracket on it. Which implies to me that it got swapped with the red one.. and he did it wrong.

It also looks like it is not grounded out. The harness i saw had 2 ends, one for the negative lead of the battery and another running to the white clip and center of wire it has the grounded out wire to attach to the area near the battery where a few ground wires meet.

I see a few wires all right near the battery that look like ground wires.

So what Direct Ignition Cartridge am i suppose to have for my year and model. And if i do not see a ground wire on this unit then could that cause a short thus draining the battery and causing the car to start for 5 minutes at a time then dying out, also the fact it is very loose...

any input would be helpful.

·
Saab Mad
3,053 Posts
All 9000s should have red DIs. Black DIs are for T7 cars and no 9000 is T7.

I don't understand your harness question :confused: A picture would be helpful to understand your problem. All I can tell you is that all DIs have only one harness and no separate ground wires.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i guess thats all i need. thank you.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Stefano said:
You should also remember that not all 9000 are Trionic. In this case, the poster has a 1992, which for USA models is DI/APC. Pre-Trionic 9000 can use the black DI with no issues.

I am a bit puzzled by the harness questions, too. I will say that the harness which connected to my red DI needed no modification to be used with the black DI. I have heard there are different harnesses, but am not sure when they are needed. The red DI I have was made in 1998, so it obviously wasn't the original one. Maybe my harness was upgraded at some point?

·
Saab Mad
3,053 Posts
Aaron Gilbert said:
Pre-Trionic 9000 can use the black DI with no issues.
I didn't know that. That's interesting, because red and black DIs work on very different ways (one is inductive, one is capacitive, I think) so I didn't think that DIs could be swapped in early cars.
I know that pre-88 cars didn't have a DI, my 87 didn't have one :cheesy:

I am a bit puzzled by the harness questions, too. I will say that the harness which connected to my red DI needed no modification to be used with the black DI. I have heard there are different harnesses, but am not sure when they are needed. The red DI I have was made in 1998, so it obviously wasn't the original one. Maybe my harness was upgraded at some point?
There are two different red DIs, one for early cars one for later ones (trionc ones, I mean), to install a later DI on an early car you need an adapter. Probably your car received an adapter at some point by its PO.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what is the official saab view on the DIC and which is right for the car. I do have access to a red one. If i want to swap out my black one that i have now.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Giomeister said:
what is the official saab view on the DIC and which is right for the car. I do have access to a red one. If i want to swap out my black one that i have now.
I believe the Saab official view is, and likely always will be, to use the same DI as came with the car from the factory. So for all 9000, that would be red, and that's obviously the safe bet. That said, here's a link which goes into much more detail, including the pre-trionic exception I noted above:

http://www.saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8421

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Stefano said:
My red DI failed about two years ago. Indie Saab master tech replaced it with a black one as part of an order of black DIs he got for 9-5s. Same harness fitting. So far absolutely no difference whatsover compared with my old red DI.

And my car is a '93, APC/Trionic.

I'm confused ...... :confused:

·
Saab Mad
3,053 Posts
SaabKen said:
My red DI failed about two years ago. Indie Saab master tech replaced it with a black one as part of an order of black DIs he got for 9-5s. Same harness fitting. So far absolutely no difference whatsover compared with my old red DI.

And my car is a '93, APC/Trionic.

I'm confused ...... :confused:
Dr. Boost, said, in this very forum, that T5 cars can't run black DIs. You know who Dr Boost is and where he works, right? ;) :cheesy:

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I called 2 saab dealers locally they sais red. I am also aware that a saab is one persnickety car. I tried with my 900 to use regular spark plugs. It hated me for it.

So i got Bosch Supers and it purred like a kitten. (a really loud lion) But it ran great.

So i think red is a definitive considering it was installed with red when it left the factory.

Thank you everyone for the input it helped alot.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
saab trionic systems (T5 & T7) utilize the spark plugs for knock detection but T5 does it in a different way to T7, the black DIC (T7) when used in place of a red DIC (T5) will not detect the knock, therefor the T5 car will not be able to control knock if you fit a black DIC, HOWEVER 9000's with DI/APC uses a separate knock detector on the back of the block so therefor it does not utilize the knock detection capabilities of either the red OR the black DIC so either can be used.

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
boxman said:
saab trionic systems (T5 & T7) utilize the spark plugs for knock detection but T5 does it in a different way to T7, the black DIC (T7) when used in place of a red DIC (T5) will not detect the knock, therefor the T5 car will not be able to control knock if you fit a black DIC, HOWEVER 9000's with DI/APC uses a separate knock detector on the back of the block so therefor it does not utilize the knock detection capabilities of either the red OR the black DIC so either can be used.
Thanks BM.

Which MY 9000s were DI/APC ? '92 and '93 ? My car was manufactured mid-summer of 1992, sold as a '93. My turbo gauge says Turbo/APC:

·
Registered
830 Posts
SaabKen said:
Which MY 9000s were DI/APC ? '92 and '93 ? My car was manufactured mid-summer of 1992, sold as a '93. My turbo gauge says Turbo/APC:
'90-92 9000T were DI/APC. 1993 was Trionic, though a slightly different version than present in 1994-1998. I'm not sure about the exact differences between the two.

By the way, I wonder why Saab puts liters on the fuel gauge for Canada, but not gallons on the gauge for the USA ?? Not that any other automakers do, but still, it has me curious. And your temperature gauge sure has a much smaller red zone than does mine. I have at least three times as large a red zone. Of course, any bit into the red zone is bad... :)

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Aaron Gilbert said:
By the way, I wonder why Saab puts liters on the fuel gauge for Canada, but not gallons on the gauge for the USA ?? Not that any other automakers do, but still, it has me curious. And your temperature gauge sure has a much smaller red zone than does mine. I have at least three times as large a red zone. Of course, any bit into the red zone is bad... :)
BTW, that's a C900 gauge in that pic, not of my car's. You prolly already knew that.

You mean American IP fuel gauges also read in liters ? My entire IP gauges are metric with no US nor imperial UK units. As for the temp gauge's read zone, it's approximately 1/5 the entire sweep length of the temp "arc". Again, not like the pic above.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts