SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I redid my brakes cause the rotors were warped, it appears the last shop instead of using grease or anti seize on the back of the front pads with the calipers, elected to use red loctite. It was a messy pain to get off. Is this common practice or did my old man do something to piss them off?

·
Registered
322 Posts
I can understand the thinking, though I don't agree with it.

If the noise of brake squeal is caused by the pads fretting on the pistons, you can either lubricate this with brake grease, or make it solid with the likes of loctite, jbweld or actual welding.

Loctite likely won't hold over the long term because hard use will get the brakes hot enough to brake down the loctite. But, if one always brakes gently, it may not ever get that hot. As well it should break the joint as the pads move and cock with wear.

It would be a "joy" to clean up for the next brake job.

Sounds like someones brilliant idea that really isn't.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
stupid slow and nasty illness leading to death is a suitable reward for the person did that.
use silicone ( or my fave Lloyds Moly anti seize, it does not have naptha as the carrier solvent like Permatex and doesn't dry out and go hard and then cause issues)
put the anti seize or honda brake silicone paste on the pad backing where it contacts caliper or piston, on the tins where the pad ends sit, and in the slider pins ( on some saabs those are rubber at the rear) use blue Loctite on the brake fasteners, around 20 ft lbs for the slider pin bolts and 60 ft lbs or so on the caliper to mounting bracket ( check wis for correct torque specs) DO NOT USE Loctite on bleeder screws, they take INCH POUND torque. Use new crush washers on the banjo and flush the old brake fluid out. Install new flexible hoses, if the car is old and they are cracked. Water gets into brake fluid through osmosis via the hoses.

my advice

·
Registered
101 Posts
Its most likely "disc brake quiet" or similar. Its red and goes on the back of the pads to cut down on noise. Used to use it all the time, harmless and effective.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts