SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 1993 900 turbo for about a year now. A few months ago, the engine cut out with a fuel pump problem, and despite a supposedly 'new' pump being fitted, I have had two simlar episodes. On both occasions, the engine just died as I tried to move through the lower gears. When I had it looked at in a more reputable garage than the first one, the fuel lines either in to, or out of, the pump had popped off, cutting the fuel to the engine. I shelled out for a second pump, as I wasn't convinced by the service in the first place, but am still not convinced the problem is fixed.

I am really puzzled as to why the lines popped off. My idiot brain tells me that, with a new pump, it should be fine but I can't help but think the problem was not really in the pump but 'downstream' in the engine. Seems to me that some sort of pressure surge must have been the reason the lines came off, but my current garage don't seem to be able to help and I haven't really got another in mind that might know more.

Has anyone had a similar problem or have a better explanation? I'm fed up causing traffic jams, can't convince my family to get in the car, and have somewhat lost the fun factor of driving at present as I don't trust it to get me from A to B.

All thoughts gratefully received. Just looking for pointers really.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
there should be a screw down clamp that fits on top of the pump to stop this, as althought they are a tight press in fit(and are a PIB to get out) pressure form the pump into the lines could(and probably is) blowing it off. whilst you are running the pressure is just that bit lower, but once you stop it's building up just that fraction more and blows out, plus the rubbers seals may be 'tired'

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fuel pump problem

Thanks for taking the time to reply and sorry for the tardy response.

The problem is sorted. I ended up taking it to a really excellent Saab garage (North East Saab) in Ryhope, Sunderland. Turns out that the two previous garages had snapped off the end of the return fuel line from the engine to the pump when fitting it. They had rigged up their own attachment, oblivious to the fact that the original has a one way valve in it that regulates pressure in the fuel system. This meant that the pressure was building up, fuel was flooding the engine, and, eventually, the line was blowing off.

What should have been a £40 job ended up costing well over ten times that. Sadly, it seems to be a common problem, unless you are taking your Saab to someone who really knows what they are on about. Both the other garages have good reputations but I have now learnt my lesson.

I am now a much happier Saab driver.

;ol;:D

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
both garages may be reputable and very good , but just one bodgie mechanic or someone who thinks they have solved a problem and does'nt realise the consequences and it the customers bad day

1 - 5 of 5 Posts