SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a new-to-me 2007 9-3 that had loads of interior issues. I have fixed most with a combination of LVP paint and eBay, but the one that made me the craziest was the parcel deck behind the rear seats. The beige fabric was completely sun-faded and coming apart from the shelf and looked like hell.

Worse, the angle of the rear window made the reflection front and center every time I looked in the rear-view mirror! I decided to change it to black so that it would reflect less.

This is my first time, but I wanted to share because I couldn't find a post on this topic.

Materials
1 yd VOL-322 from globalupholstery.com. Pattern is a dead match for the headliner, but the color is deep gray/black
1 can Colorbond LVP BMW Black 258
Spray headliner adhesive

Tools
Very sharp knife
Rubber gloves
Trim removal tools

1. Remove C pillars - pop the airbag caps with a trim puller. Use a deep 10m socket to unscrew the bolts that hold them on. Be careful not to lose the black well nuts. Once the bolt is removed, pull out and away from the window.
2. Lower rear seats. The levers are in the trunk, fold down the seats.
3. Remove the trim pins. There are three.
4. Lift the shelf up and then pull out away from the window
5. Remove trim. IMPORTANT: the clips are junk, and will break very easily. Gently release the clips from behind the panel and remove the speaker covers, vent covers, three car seat anchor covers and the other little piece. The anchor cover hinges are very fragile, so be gentle.
6. Remove rubber strips and existing fabric. My fabric was torn, so I had an easy edge, but just pull firmly and it will separate from the shelf. Keep the adhesive rubber strips.

7. Make sure there is no fabric remaining. There will be a white fuzz. I chose to leave it, though it would be nice to find a way to remove it.

8. Now is the fun part. Lay the new fabric out evenly. It has a grid, so be mindful not to install it at an angle.
9. Begin gluing on the center front depression. This is important, as the fabric is not particularly flexible, and if you start at a high point, it is hard to get the fabric to adhere properly to this depression.

10 Spray glue in an area 9-12" square. Spray on the panel and on the corresponding area of the fabric backing. Don't attach immediately. Wait a few minutes until the glue is tacky but not wet.
11 Press the fabric to the panel as though you were installing an iPhone screen protector. Start in the center and gently smooth the fabric outwards to remove wrinkles
12 Once you have covered the glued area, work to the left then to the right of that area to make a continuous horizontal area of application, following the same process.
13 When you hit a hole (speaker, vent, etc), apply the fabric to the edge of the hole, then cut an "x" in the fabric within the perimeter of the hole. This relieves tension and will allow you to properly adhere to the lip of the hole. You can trim later after it dries.
14 Work backward until the rear of the panel, then forwards to the from the edge. Make sure you glue the fabric over the lip, but no need to glue the fabric to the back of the panel.
15 Once the glue has dried, take your knife and trim the fabric at each of the holes. I went from the back and used the panel as a guide.

16 Re-install the rubber strips from step 6
17 Paint speaker/vent trim and covers - I ran out of paint, so this project is not yet done!
18 Replace trim

19 Re-install panel

20 Re-install C pillars

I am happy with the outcome, though I might do it again now that I have worked out the process. I am still wondering if there is a way to remove the fuzz, or if it would make sense to apply glue and use a putty knife to smooth it down and make a better adhesive surface before gluing the actual fabric.

Would love to get tips on how to do it better

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,616 Posts
Looks fantastic - makes me want to recover everything beige in the car with black! Nice work. ;ol;

1 - 3 of 3 Posts