SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase a new or used rooftop cargo box for my 2006 9-3 Aero SS. Does anyone have experiences with a certain product that has worked well and fits the vehicle profile well? I will be using it to haul camping equipment or when traveling with the family. This is not for ski or boarding equipment.

I like the Atlantic 1600 product, but trying to find something on craigslist.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I have a Karrite that looks just like the one in the pic. Same size too. It is very useful and works great.
I paid about $400 for it.
Thule and Yakima's are going to cost more than others, but I can't say why they would be much better. Some have better locks and can be openned from either side.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the suggestion. Karrite looks like a good product. I will pay the $400-$500 if I have to, but in the meantime I am waiting for something used to surface.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Do you have cross bars already? I found that it was relatively easy to adapt this sort of generic one (25 bucks from Craigs List). I had the c-track bars, so I used some panhead bolts (I think that's what they are called) that fit in the groove and some wide washers inside. You could also use U bolts, I think.

Since the weatherstripping was crumbly, I replaced it with some from Home Depot. As an extra precaution I put some cross straps on. Bungee cords would do the same thing. Just to avoid a single point of catastrophic failure :D

The labels fell off the one I have, so I don't really have any idea what it is, and it's not very aerodynamic. Nevertheless, I drove it cross country twice with no problems. My point is, that a really cheap one might do just fine with a minor amount of effort.

Oh, and whatever you do, go for a shakedown drive before your trip. I found that there were grooves in the bottom of mine that made a terrible whistle! A tiny bit of duct tape fixed that up, but I would have gone crazy if I didn't.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Had a need for one that I knew I would use just once. I bought an ancient Sears one on Craigslist for $75 and attached it to existing Thule bars on my wife's Volvo V70 XC. Had some trouble with wind noise and leaking water, but otherwise it worked fairly well for a 1,000 mile trip last Xmas. When we returned, I sold it on Craigslist for $50, so the experience cost me $25 and some fiddling around. Satisfactory, IMO.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
That's the RI way, Dave - minimize your investment. Too bad Ocean State Job Lot doesn't sell them (though you can get the bungee's there!).

·
Registered
683 Posts
Would have been more discriminating / spent more if I'd had ongoing need and planned to keep. Couldn't see dropping >$600 for one time use!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts