SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted in another thread, but then decided that this could become a discussion of its own, so a separate thread might be better.

I am building a hot rod. Powerplant is a B234 2.3L motor from a 1995 9000. Transmission is a T5 5-speed transmission. And I have tall rear tires because this is a traditional style hot rod I am trying to build.

I have been digging through the Saab Central forums for a while. I don't know if I have definitive answers to these questions, so any real input and suggestions would be awesome.

When answering these questions, keep these factors in mind: I want a little more HP than stock. maybe 240-250 HP and Torque. And since I have tall tires, I think torque might be more important. And I have the engine and ECU, but I do not have any of the turbo parts, exhaust manifold, boost controller, or any of that. So turbo suggestions do not have to bolt to the stock manifold. I will be making the manifold.

1. Which turbo should I go with? And I am not too familiar with turbos, so the more details you can give me, the better. Hell, even drop a link to one I can buy.

2. Since I am not familiar with turbos, and I don't have the complete stock engine, what would you suggest for boost control, wastegate, blowoff valve, and any other turbo accessories I might need.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe you didn't read my whole post. I don't have the turbo. All I have is the engine, ECU, and harness.

Stock horsepower was only 200. Is a 50 HP, or 25% increase, something the stock turbo can handle? Or would it be wise to get something slightly larger, so it is not working as hard to produce that 25% increase in power?

Or is there a turbo similar in size to the stock one, that is better in some way? Since I do not have the stock exhaust manifold, and I have all the room in the world, might there be a "better" turbo option?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent. Thank you for the information. I'll just buy a stock turbo.

250 HP will me plenty of power for the hot rod I am building. It originally came with a 40 HP engine. haha

·
Registered
70 Posts
Buy a Garrett T28 hybrid (with T25 turbine) get a Maptun 3” down pipe with 2.5” catback, send your ECU to Maptun for stage 4 tuning, and you get around 300hp and 450Nm. Sport air filter as an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This isn't a Saab, just a Saab engine.

Tall tires - This Saab engine is going in a traditional style hot rod/rat rod that has much taller tires than the Saab 9000 the engine came from.

I don't need a downpipe or cat-back. The turbo will literally have a tailpipe right on it. No exhaust system.

And 300HP / 450Nm sounds great, but I am not sure the transmission I am using can handle that much power. I'll have to do more research.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts