SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2003 9-5 Linear Wagon
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to get the recirculation motor out (of my 2003 9-5) for a couple weeks now and I'm going crazy. Here are some tutorials and threads I've looked at.

Fairway academy
Saabservices
What tool? Recirc motor removal
Recirculation motor

The problem is the screw deep inside the boss. I tried using a #2 Philips screwdriver, it goes all the way in but doesn't bite on anything. Based on one of the threads above, maybe only the older ones had a #2 Philips head. So, I bought a set of nut drivers that someone had said worked for them (Pros'kit nut driver set on Amazon) but the 6mm driver won't go all the way in, whereas a screwdriver will. I called John at Saabservices, and he said that he used a bench grinder to grind the walls of the nut driver to the point that they don't interfere, as the boss seems to taper to a narrower opening in the hole. I'd happily try this, but I'm not confident that it'll work. I've put a 4mm but driver with outer walls measuring about 6mm across, and that wasn't able to fit all the way into the boss either, so even if I ground my nut driver down perfectly, it would still be too big. The 3mm is the only nut driver that I can get to fit all the way into the opening, but that's not removing anything either.

So, can anyone tell me how the hell I'm supposed to get this screw out? I'm totally frustrated and almost out of ideas, short of getting the Dremel out.

·
Registered
9,581 Posts
I've successfully used a 1/4" screwdriver bit handle to get one of those deep screws out, like one of these:

1/4" is close enough to 6mm that they'll generally work, but I have used one that was just big enough that it slipped on the screw.

In 2002 they switched from screws with a combination hex/Phillips head to just hex head screws. The same ones are used on the cabin filter cover, so you can see there which type of screw your car has. Most nut drivers I've seen are too big in diameter to fit in those holes. I left Pick-n-Pull frustrated a couple of times when I tried to get one of those motors out and didn't come prepared with the right tools. There are next to no Phillips screws on these cars, so I usually didn't think to bring a regular old screwdriver or a handle with bits.

·
Registered
2003 9-5 Linear Wagon
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've successfully used a 1/4" screwdriver bit handle to get one of those deep screws out, like one of these:

[/URL]

1/4" is close enough to 6mm that they'll generally work, but I have used one that was just big enough that it slipped on the screw.

In 2002 they switched from screws with a combination hex/Phillips head to just hex head screws. The same ones are used on the cabin filter cover, so you can see there which type of screw your car has. Most nut drivers I've seen are too big in diameter to fit in those holes. I left Pick-n-Pull frustrated a couple of times when I tried to get one of those motors out and didn't come prepared with the right tools. There are next to no Phillips screws on these cars, so I usually didn't think to bring a regular old screwdriver or a handle with bits.
My problem is that I have a 6mm nut driver that should fit but doesn't. It's very skinny and definitely not as chunky as the screwdriver you linked. I tried to take a picture of the boss with my phone, it's hard to tell, but it gets narrower inside and seems to be less than a 6mm opening, because I can't even fit a 4mm but driver all the way in. If you look at the picture below you can see where it gets narrower, I can't seem to get anything past that point.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
My 1999 was a phillips screw too, I was so frustrated messing with hex drivers that didn't fit then I took out another screw nearby that was a hex phillips combo, I was ecstatic when I went back to the screw you are working on and a skinny phillips screw driver worked a charm.

If you've been at it a while and you are sure it isn't a phillips then I would cut the plastic off the side or maybe run a drill bit inside it and figure it out from there.

·
Registered
2003 9-5 Linear Wagon
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If no one else has any ideas I'll probably just cut the plastic with a dremel, as much as I don't really want to.

·
Registered
9,581 Posts
I'm still a little confused why some tool won't fit in there. The screw is a 6mm hex head screw with a shoulder. The outer diameter of the screw should be at least 7mm, and the hole in the motor slightly larger than that. There's got to be something that will fit in there, but in the end, cutting part of the motor case shouldn't affect anything much. Some of the sites that show how to rebuild the motor have pretty good pictures of the case so you can see what you're actually cutting away. I should go back to Pick & Pull this weekend and see if I can get the motor out of the 2002 9-5 they have there.

I pulled several motors out of 9-5s this past summer so I could put together two good ones for my cars. One car ended up getting a nearly new one courtesy of someone on eBay who bought a new motor and then wrecked his car. He snipped the cable to get it out, but I had a good circuit board complete with motor and cable that I put in it. I really just needed the gear train and the unbroken motor casing and arm. I got all of that for less than $25! I can't believe I was the only one to bid on it.

·
Registered
686 Posts
If you have to cut it, get the bondic UV plastic welder kit to repair it.
I'd try a #1 philips or a #3 first though..

·
Registered
9,581 Posts
A 2002 doesn't have Phillips head screws, and that's what's making this all more difficult. His car only has hex head screws.

·
Registered
2003 9-5 Linear Wagon
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't easily measure the diameter inside where it gets narrower, but my 6mm nut driver can't get all the way in, whereas my 3mm can, which is why I'm questioning whether it's actually 6mm. I have tried various phillips head sizes too, from 0 to 3, and they don't seem to do anything.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Did you put that socket down there? The pic has a socket stuck within the recess so the cap screw isn't visible. Usually when theres a super deep recessed screw like that the plastic is always wide enough to allow a socket to fit, as I'm sure everyone here knows. Definitely weird.
Have you tried a thin walled deep 1/4" 6mm? That should do the trick. Otherwise you have some cutting ahead sadly.

·
Registered
2003 9-5 Linear Wagon
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh wow, I don't know how I didn't notice that it looks like a socket. I'll stick a 1/4" wrench in there and see if I can pull that out. I was wondering why it tapered off like that with a square, duh. That would make too much sense.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Did you put that socket down there?
You have a better screen then the one on my laptop...I downloaded the picture to my computer last night and zoomed in on it because I couldn't figure out what I was looking at and still couldn't see it.

If it is a socket...nicely done!

·
Registered
2003 9-5 Linear Wagon
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
9-5r, thank you so much! Just got the socket out, it came out with a bit of wiggling and sweet talking. Here is a picture of the offender. The worst part is that the car was dealer maintained its whole life with the PO so this must've happened there. I used my 6mm nut driver and got the screw out, the motor is now free! Removal was actually really easy once I figured that out. Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
527 Posts
9-5r, thank you so much! Just got the socket out, it came out with a bit of wiggling and sweet talking. Here is a picture of the offender. The worst part is that the car was dealer maintained its whole life with the PO so this must've happened there. I used my 6mm nut driver and got the screw out, the motor is now free! Removal was actually really easy once I figured that out. Thanks a ton! View attachment 272214
LOVE this post!! Interesting resolution. I have done a couple recirc motors got a hex driver to work

·
Registered
686 Posts
That is one old socket in there, haha..with a little luck it could have been a snap on. Not a good place to leave a socket but we all inevitably make mistakes.
It took a couple of seconds to realize what it was but I'm happy to help. You have a good camera!

·
Registered
2003 9-5 Linear Wagon
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is one old socket in there, haha..with a little luck it could have been a snap on. Not a good place to leave a socket but we all inevitably make mistakes.
It took a couple of seconds to realize what it was but I'm happy to help. You have a good camera!
If I'm lucky maybe a snap on will grow back in its place.
I actually just used my phone, had to take about 30 pictures until I got one that was focused correctly.
Thanks again, got all the components replaced and buttoned back up, now my ACC system is error free (after sorting this and the heater flap).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts