SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I took the recirculate motors out of both of my 9-5s just to see what I'd find. One of them had a broken arm, a blown resistor, and a stripped gear. The other had a broken arm, stripped gear, and the internal stops on the inside of the motor case were all broken apart. I've since taken a couple apart at Pick-n-Pull and found more of the same thing. They all have broken arms, some have blown resistors, and most of them have the stops on the inside of the case broken apart.

Has pretty much every one on this board had the same issue? I wonder how many people even know if their recirculate motor is busted since it doesn't register a fault code on the ACC unless the resistor is blown.

I was thinking about this after reading some posts on Saabnet about the coolant bypass valve. If a lot of these cars have non-functioning recirculate modes, that's going to affect the A/C a lot more than bypassing the coolant bypass valve.

·
Registered
10,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not that hard to get out. I've gotten it down to less than 10 minutes. You remove the glove box, and then it's up high on the air distribution box. It has two screws and one plug. One screw is deeply recessed, and depending on the year, you either need a #2 Phillips screwdriver (1999-2001) or a 6mm or 1/4" nut driver (2002-2005). Then you have to get the plug unsnapped from the bracket it's in, which requires some pliers to squeeze the clips while you push it out of the bracket.

The motor in my wife's 9-5 made some pretty awful grinding noises when the ignition was switched off. Apparently the motor tries to go into some sort of resting position, but if the arm is broken and the internal stops for one of the gears are broken, It will just spin and spin. My car had the resistor blown, so the motor wouldn't turn at all. I've since put together one good motor, and just need to get an arm. They're about $24 for what's I'm sure is about $.05 worth of plastic.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Perhaps some 3D modeling and printing is in order?

Several of us have printers, I'd happily print you whatever you model up and I'll even ship it to you.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Has pretty much every one on this board had the same issue? I wonder how many people even know if their recirculate motor is busted since it doesn't register a fault code on the ACC unless the resistor is blown.

As far as I know, it works fine for me. The blower noise definitely changes when it's switched on/off. I also use it to keep out smelly diesel exhaust smells, though usually by the time I notice it, it's too late.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts