SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago purchased a 2003 9-5 aero with only 37,000 miles for about $11,000. I just reached the 40,000 mile mark and figured I would take the car to the dealer for only this interval, just to ensure everything was in line. Not to my surprise they found something wrong, they said that my serpentine belt was near breaking and had to be replaced ...this cost me 500 dollars:evil:. How much did they kill me. Im sure this has needed replacement on other cars, how much did it cost you?

G

·
About $25 for the belt and an hour of my time. I am sure they must have done more service for $500 in addition to replacing the belt.

There is no 40K service interval. It's either 30K or 45K.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know that there is no interval at this point but I needed an oil change, and the car has not seen a mechanic since its first "check up" to make sure the car was in good condition and a good buy. Also it was the most convenient time to take it in since I'm on break this week and wanted to take it to my local dealer. I will need to look more into that since my final tab was about 1,000 dollars... hmm

·
Registered
693 Posts
Jesus Frakking Christo! I hope Wulf was right about them doing additional work other than replacing the belt. Did you get an work order receipt? This sounds excessive even for a dealer! Maine commented that they must have enjoyed seeing you walk in... I think they enjoyed it more after you left. :x

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
That's ridiculous. I could have my timing belt, serp belt, water pump and tensioners all replaced for less than $500. And that includes one nice car wash and any TechII adjustments I may want to have done at the time. Just say :nono; to outrageous service quotes and go to a Saab indy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is what i had done and its entire break down:
$235 - 1.5 hours of work - oilflter, seal washer,5 5w30,MOA Friction(?), BG 44k
$48 - new wiper blades
$56 - 1 hour of work - engine belt guard replaced (it was missing)
$556 - 2 hours of work - Belt tensioner, pulley tension, idler pulley, Drivebelt

G

·
You had to sign a work order when you brought it in for service with the expected charges for labor and parts. They would have to get your approval if the work exceeds the original estimate.

·
Registered
576 Posts
For the oil change, was it a transmission flush as well? Those are pricey at the dealer.

For the serp belt, they replaced both belt tensioners as well, which was probably completely unnecessary on such a new car. Should have been belt and idler pully at most, unless there was damage from something we are unaware of.

Were you aware this was going to cost this much?

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Agreed, at 37K miles changing the following would not have been necessary unless the parts were defective, (and I can't imagine these parts would all be defective at this mileage), these parts generally last until 100K if not more mileage:

Belt tensioner
Belt tensioner pulley
Both upper and lower pulley's would not need to be replaced

I do not know what an Engine belt guard is and I own one of these cars, it's unlikely it had to be replaced, but others here would probably know more about this part than I do..

New wiper blades, (all three), should have been around $25...check out Goodyear wiper blades at Costco..and the rear lift gate 13" wiper can be found at any O'Reilly's for about $10

Most people here would most likely not use this product: "MOA Friction, BG 44k" it's a BG product, probably like Slick 50, BG products are over priced and not necessary with regular full synthetic oil changes...

Looks to me like they did unnecessary repairs to your car just to jack up the profits....ask them to give you all of the defective parts back, tell them you'd like to know if they were defective....
If that doesn't work, call you credit car company and start a dispute process......

G

·
Looks to me like they did unnecessary repairs to your car just to jack up the profits....
Service writers are paid on commission. The more service and repair business they bring in, the higher their paycheck will be. There is something seriously wrong with that business model for the consumer...

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Service writers are paid on commission. The more service and repair business they bring in, the higher their paycheck will be. There is something seriously wrong with that business model for the consumer...
I really didn't know that, it's completely sick...no wonder this person ended up with a boat load of unnecessary work...
Want to see what the BG product is? go here: http://www.bgprod.com/products/engineoil.html

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I hate horror stories like this. My dealership always does only what I ask them to do. And when I have symptoms that I don't know the cause of, they have a quick answer and seem to only fix what is necessary. They do charge a little more than I'd like, but a lot of the price comes from the cost of Genuine Saab parts, not their labor charges. Just recently they have been giving me a break on parts because I'm there so often =]

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
The parts guys and at least 1 mechanic at my local dealer are pretty cool, (however, the service manager is trouble), just regular people trying to make a living. They've helped me more than once with repair questions. You can tell, a lot of people that work in dealer service centers are car lovers who are trapped in a system most people dislike.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts