SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the Southeastern US. The weather has been very mild until 2 recent cold snaps. Survived the first one, thought I had time to do a winter flush, but last night caught me by surprise.

This morning the car, having no starting issues before, would not turn over. I get lights and electrics inside, but nothing. The car doesn't crank and I am not very handy with it beyond basic maintenance. I learned much about my old 1992 900, but I am still becoming familiar with this '95 900.

What is the most likely culprit for the start failure?
Battery cables are fine and everything else seems corrosion free and connected.

When I turn the key, I get a ding-sing-ding sound and a sluggish sound from the starter (trying to cough to a start).

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
It sounds like you should try jump starting it. If it's really a 1995 900 however, you're in the wrong forum. People in the NG900 forum are more likely to be able to advise you.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
If it jump starts, no matter what type of car it is, get the battery tested under a load. Most auto supply shops will do this for you at no cost (because if it fails they're going to have the opportunity to sell you a battery) - these things don't typically fix themselves and it'll just be a matter of time before it won't start again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SteveTheFolkie said:
If it jump starts, no matter what type of car it is, get the battery tested under a load. Most auto supply shops will do this for you at no cost (because if it fails they're going to have the opportunity to sell you a battery) - these things don't typically fix themselves and it'll just be a matter of time before it won't start again.

You're right. It jumped and drove all day yesterday, but was dead again this morning. The battery is a 2004; doubtless needs replacing. I'm glad it was this (fingers crossed).

Thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jim Mesthene said:
It sounds like you should try jump starting it. If it's really a 1995 900 however, you're in the wrong forum. People in the NG900 forum are more likely to be able to advise you.

Thanks for the heads up! I will post there from now on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts