SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a recently acquired 1988 9k Turbo and have genuinely enjoyed putting around town in it in regards to everything except the auto box.

The price and condition of the body/interior was too good to pass up, so I made the decision to buy with the intention of trans swapping in the near future.

while looking for a trans I came across more extensive options in the form of a 2003 9-5 and a 2004 9-3 that are available locally, both with 5 speed manuals and a b235r and a b207l respectively.

it’s my understanding that only swapping the trans from the 9-5 will require custom adapters, etc and is not realistic to swap into my current B202 platform. What would it look like to swap both engine and trans? Ultimate goals in car are nothing more than manual trans and continuing to restore aesthetically and reliability of car.

alternatively the b207 is also available. Would this trans be something that can be swapped into the B202 without major customer modifications? Would a full B202 -> b207 + manual trans be something worth my time?

both engines are at a junkyard and will be pulled and begging for a rebuild before being put into the ‘88.

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
A B234 runs a T5 trionic ignition, and a 235 runs a T7 trionic ignition. I am not that clued up, but I think you will find that an engine and trans swap will mean a loom swap and other parts too.

Something like this may have been done to a C900 but from memory it is quite challenging and technical.

For what it is worth.
My griffin is a 234, tuned by me using T5 suite to a modified stage 2. Which I think means it is a bit more "grunty" than a Aero, which is a 234R.

But it is still an auto, and will stay that way. I could make it a manual by swapping my other manual in to it, but I don't want to.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A B234 runs a T5 trionic ignition, and a 235 runs a T7 trionic ignition. I am not that clued up, but I think you will find that an engine and trans swap will mean a loom swap and other parts too.

Something like this may have been done to a C900 but from memory it is quite challenging and technical.

For what it is worth.
My griffin is a 234, tuned by me using T5 suite to a modified stage 2. Which I think means it is a bit more "grunty" than a Aero, which is a 234R.

But it is still an auto, and will stay that way. I could make it a manual by swapping my other manual in to it, but I don't want to.
as always, thank you!

ultimately if I can get away swapping just the trans from the b207 based 9-3 that would be ideal for what I’m trying to do. Been trying to find different photos of each trans to identify if bell housing is the same and any other problems that may come up. I’ll be stopping by the junkyard today to get some reference and make sure the parts are still in the car.

I’m sure the auto in my car will last awhile with proper maintenance. I’d be lying if I said I was happy with that though.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
I don't know what kind of auto it is.

If it is the one in the later 9000 models, they are good.
Sometimes thay have been thrown out for failed governor seals, really easy to replace, with the auto still in the car. Shan did a good video on this.
Also the springs in the unit under the battery can break, again an easy in car fix.
Many autos have been thrown out for these issues, because people did not know what was behind the confusing symptoms.
Which are, auto shifting at all sorts of weird times.

I do not know if the ecu needs to be remapped with the change to a manual, I know in the T5 ecus you have to do that. I did it for a friend who changed his 9000 CS from auto to manual.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gonna try to bring this back for sound advice - I have the opportunity though now to buy a complete ‘97 Aero with B234R and manual trans - meaning I’ll have access to wiring loom, trans, any associated parts etc.

has someone done a B234 -> b202 trans swap? Any advice?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts