SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Saabcentral! I've used your forums for years to both research and for Saab troubleshooting. I love that you guys try your best to help no matter how ignorant I seem about these beautiful cars.

I have a 2000 Saab 9-5 Aero currently. I threw a piston through my block (it was sitting at 214k beforehand, and I was at WOT on the highway before it all went to pieces)
It's bone stock instead of a Genuinesaab air snorkel, a K&N air filter, and a Krona Strut Brace.

I'm saving up to buy a new B235R, and I want to get forged internals (specifically Wossner Forged Pistons & Pauter Connecting Rods) put in as well as a timing chain kit and some camshafts from a B234R (from a Maptun build I'm melding I'm)

My local saab shop doesnt do that kind of internal engine work, so I'm looking for other mechanics and people who could rebuild my engine for my in a couple months when I save up for everything.
To be clear, I would send the engine, the rods, the pistons, the camshafts and the timing chain kit. I would pay for the shipping to and fro as well. I just cant find anyone local and JZW seems to be fully tied up at the moment. I live in Maryland by the way, and I will continue to do research on my end until I have found an option as well. This also isnt an immediate deal. I'm working 7 days a week to both save up and make sure my affairs are in order before ordering and everything

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Research

I'm kinda new to Saabs, there is a guy on youtube with a built 9-5 that made 500+ to wheels. Mrbman I believe, he said he had his trans built at Maptun I think in Sweden/Europe. All I know dude, good luck.

·
Registered
8,260 Posts
Miller Machine in Lincoln University PA ( probably an hour and a half from you) Did my 234/235 hybrid. Balanced to race spec.. awesome work...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Guys!

Another Dan here! I am fairly familiar with Maptun at this point, but exporting an engine and then having it worked on is fairly expensive to begin with, and I'm trying to keep my costs fairly centralized. Besides, Swedish Motorsports is an US outlet for Maptun as well, and those guys are pretty swell. Thanks for the advice though.

Jsaab, that is pretty awesome! Do you remember what is rates were? The only other option I have is a fellow mechanic friend rebuilding my B235R, but its good to have more than one in case things change

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
In Maryland you have Harvey @ Harvey's Autohaus (Google search for him, he comes up on Saab pages only), He knows these cars inside and out.

I'll break down my cost.

$1,200 for machine shop work (I broke down the engine)
-I had them blueprint the engine
-check the main line was straight
-tolerances
-clean
-hone
-deck
-3 angle port job and completely rebuild the head.
-balance
-mount the pistons on the rods for weight check
-Lighten a flywheel
-paint the engine
-pair the new bearings across the assembly so the crank sat DEAD center and had exactly the same tolerances across the board, same goes for conrod bearings.
-I had them clean all my engine brackets, IM, so much stuff.
-Chase all threaded holes and seal them until I was ready, at which point I cleaned them AGAIN.

Everything I had them do was worth it

No assembly

It was a lot of work. Assembling the engine is really easy. Go on eSaabParts and use the diagrams, just do one mass order of all the stuff you need (seals, o-rings, timing chain, etc.) It gets really easy to get lost quick, but I think my total here for everything was around $500-600 (I order a lot of external stuff, I have new steering rack, pump, lines, ac lines, compressor, so I'm ball parking just what I can remember) . You name it, I've replaced it. NOT ONE part in my engine bay is original except for the ABS pump and some bolts (I've been converting to Stainless steel bolts EVERYWHERE I can).

I can tell you all in, between powder coating, clutch, custom transmission, turbo, exhaust, god only knows what else. I've easily spent $10k in my engine bay alone, alot of work was done by me and it will all be worth it. I've gone WAY overboard. My build could have been done for FRACTIONS of what I spent, but to me it was fun.

Here is my build thread:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=681018

Here is my time lapse of the engine build:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey DrunkietheBear!

Thanks for replying! A couple notes:
I know Harvey, and have him on Facebook, and have inquired about him rebuilding my B235R, but he is definitely tied up. I've asked him twice over the span of a couple months, and havent gotten a solid answer, so instead of bothering him, I'll let it be. This is no light work rebuilding engines. He is a cool guy, and pestering him a lot on my end won't give me an answer.

I ended up choosing one of my friends of which could rebuild my engine because he has experience and a engine hoist. It would be nice to have more than one option, but Harvey is unavailable to me as of right now. I don't have the means and where I live won't allow me to keep an engine or extensive tools, so I have to get it done elsewhere before I install it.

Looks like I am only missing the engine seals then. I have the most important engine bits, and a timing chain kit from eeuroparts in a cart waiting to go. I knew I was missing something though. Thank you!

Your meticulousness paid off. That is one beautiful video, and if I had the resources you had, I would definitely had done the same! But alas, I don't. My build definitely isn't cheap, but it isn't that out there either. Most of the money is going towards the engine and transmission, but improving these cars and making them what you want is part of the beauty in things. The most expensive bits of my build mostly involve from shipping from Abbottsaab over in the UK, and fixing dog leg rust, as is everything else can be bought in 1k portions until I've amassed what I need.

I wouldn't mind shipping the engine and parts up a state or two, or down a state or two as well. I'm running into logistic issues for when I buy the engine and ship it since its most likely going to be on a pallet, and other than my dedicated saab shop, I know I can't ship it straight to my friends house, and would rather not have it sitting at the shop. It definitely can't stay at my house either due to both landlord and family monkey wrenches.

Once again, thank you for your time and letting me see your beaut of an engine! Your 9-5 in the background was a sight for sore eyes as well.

·
Registered
8,260 Posts
Wasn't on for a while.

Miller was about the same, if you add in the tear down and re-assembly. I was all in on my rebuild broken down and built up all machine work Head and block ( no bore needed), balance, lightened flywheel for about $2200) I supplied all replacement parts,

Call Miller I think Jess ( his son did mine) but he does not run the shop though He can look me up maybe, if the files are there from my build after the sale of the chop

PM me for my name if you call he may be able to look me up - i think they use paper notes like back in the day.

They are the real deal, besides race engines, the shop had one of the longest bore alignment/hone in the country and routinely has in-line 12CYL engines and straight 8 getting work done... old school

·
Registered
14 Posts
Interesting info, I will be doing this soon. New to building scene and took my old engine apart at a good time and waited till a bad time to have time to reassemble seeing that all caps, pistons and engine parts in a bucket with oil, and lost my camera with reference pics! Are these parts interchangeable since I don’t have pics for exact positions??????

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Interesting info, I will be doing this soon. New to building scene and took my old engine apart at a good time and waited till a bad time to have time to reassemble seeing that all caps, pistons and engine parts in a bucket with oil, and lost my camera with reference pics! Are these parts interchangeable since I don’t have pics for exact positions??????
The rods and cap (and are paired because they are fractured cast so that cap will only fit that rod) have numbers marking what position they go in. 1-2-3-4; they really need to go back in the same position. I got new rod bolts, since they were cheap.

Main caps have numbers on them and they need to go back in the exact same position as well. 1-2-3-4-5. I reused my main cap bolts, I kept mine in the mains so they went back in the exact same hole too.

I also had my bearings paired to the exact spot to make my crank float dead center and my con rod bearings paired so they were dead center on tolerance. That was ALOT of extra work.

·
Registered
128 Posts
(I've been converting to Stainless steel bolts EVERYWHERE I can).
I've heard that combining stainless steel with non stainless steel can increase corrosion/oxidization/rust unless anodes are affixed.

Before hitting the post replay button I googled my question in mind and got a nice link full of advice: http://www.anzor.com.au/blog/the-dos-and-donts-of-using-stainless-steel-fasteners/
I haven't read it all yet but there's certainly knowledge to not ignore.

·
Registered
455 Posts

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
there is a big problem with stainless for use as fasteners, they have typically the strength of a grade five bolt. Grade 8 is preferred. For metric, typically SAAB fasteners are 8.8 or 10.9 it is a different scale for strength. Needless to say Stainless fasteners wont hack it in critical positions.

·
Registered
455 Posts
there is a big problem with stainless for use as fasteners, they have typically the strength of a grade five bolt. Grade 8 is preferred. For metric, typically SAAB fasteners are 8.8 or 10.9 it is a different scale for strength. Needless to say Stainless fasteners wont hack it in critical positions.
good point. I was wondering about the strength of stainless.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Guys!

I know it's been a year, but I want to just provide an update:

I ended up just doing a full engine swap and getting a B235R from a viggen and throwing it in there along with replacing a lot of parts around the engine. I am waiting on a new job to both increase my income and to continue on with the goal of a full engine rebuild! I got my part list all together and will make a plan to get with Harvey. Cheers!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey bud, my name is Shane I work for Swedish Performance in Raleigh, NC. We specialize in high performance Saab builds. I work closely with Matty from Krona, as well as John C. (Our shop tuner) from Houston with the 500whp 9-5.
We have built several High HP cars. My Viggen making about 500whp, recently finished a Maptun stage 5 with built motor setup, hybrid turbo Turbo X, and just had a car trailer down that a certain Saab tech in MD put together with 30 miles on the motor that is having major oil pressure issues, that will be getting a big turbo when done as well.

If you have any questions, shoot me an email. [email protected] :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts