SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've driven 900 and 9-3 a long time ago occasionally but never owned one myself. And, I'm considering getting a 9-3 XWD, manual if I can find it.

I read enough about 2.8 and its fussiness (neediness?) and am wondering if it'll take up too much in terms of maintenance and repair. I have few Saab repair shops (and dealer, still) in the area if the job becomes more than a simply DIY I can handle. Should I stay with 2.0?

Also, would it be not a good idea to have my daughter drive it? I'm not worried about her handling the power (has driven 300hp car before, knows enough to go easy on the gas), more worried about its reliability. If it stands her, that's a problem, if it can be limped back home, that's ok.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
The 2.8 are more reliable than the 2.0 for sure .. xwd from 2009 has improved as well.. i would go for the 2.8

·
Super Moderator
1,914 Posts
The 2.8 are more reliable than the 2.0 for sure .. xwd from 2009 has improved as well.. i would go for the 2.8
Agreed. The 2.8 is a solid engine that can make good power. At some point you’ll do the timing chains, not a big deal. Keep the plug gap to .035” or so and stay with Bosch 112 coils (Delphi on the NG 9-5 2.8). That’s about it. ;ol;

·
Registered
167 Posts
Agreed. The 2.8 is a solid engine that can make good power. At some point you’ll do the timing chains, not a big deal. Keep the plug gap to .035” or so and stay with Bosch 112 coils (Delphi on the NG 9-5 2.8). That’s about it. ;ol;
Thats been one of my gripes with Saab. Why didn't they go with belts? Chains are typically a tougher job than a belt. I keep an eye on the classifieds, have seen 2 - 2.8's recently with bad or snapped timing chains. One at the low mileage of 120,000.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts