SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, the dimming rearview mirror no longer dims headlights (the button does not stay in a depressed position) and the passenger side mirror no longer points down when engaging reverse. Is this a mechanical issue or could a fuse that controls these have blown? TIA

(USA2000 9-5 SE V6 Wagon)

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Interior fuse box Fuse # 21 for the mirror; also shared with the audio system. Can you still adjust the mirrors manually? if not check fuse # 10, also if you have it fuse C. If these are good then replace the switch.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I thought that most Saab mirrors were Auto Dim (sensor) Mirrors? Usually the ones with a switch also has a light (green or yellow) when on; I don’t believe the switch stays in when auto dim is the on or off position. But if the OP says his stays in the switch would have to be used excessively to go bad but it is possible.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a similar issue with the mirrors not moving down when I engage reverse. I know the tiny button below the 4-way pad that adjusts the mirrors is supposed to angle the passenger side mirror downwards when I'm in reverse gear. I can adjust both mirrors just fine with the control, but no matter which gear I'm in, the tiny button doesn't work. I wouldn't use it much anyways (maybe on some tight parallel parks?), but I'm curious whether it's a problem with the switch or whether something else is going on.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Could be the switch they do go bad, when in reverse push the button and hold it for a few seconds and see if it moves; you can also check the connection to the switch.

I have a similar issue with the mirrors not moving down when I engage reverse. I know the tiny button below the 4-way pad that adjusts the mirrors is supposed to angle the passenger side mirror downwards when I'm in reverse gear. I can adjust both mirrors just fine with the control, but no matter which gear I'm in, the tiny button doesn't work. I wouldn't use it much anyways (maybe on some tight parallel parks?), but I'm curious whether it's a problem with the switch or whether something else is going on.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Don't you have to hold the button in for the passenger mirror to tilt downwards?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Neither pressing, quickly tapping, nor indefinitely holding the button while in reverse gear made either mirror budge at all, but ehhh... I don't think it's a big enough issue at all to warrant dissecting/examining the electrical connections to the switch and mirror. I know I'm about to hit the curb when people start fleeing in terror from the sidewalk. ;)

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
If you must have that feature; change the switch you can get it cheap on ebay and it would take you less that five minutes to change.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the same problem. I checked the switch module and it looks in very good condition. It's a differents resistors for differents button pressed. The tilt down button give about 2.93 kohms. Is it correct? I don't think the problem is the button.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The manual settings of mirrors works well. I never could memorized new seat settings even the tilt function worked well (I always thought the memory button does not works). The seat move to already saved position. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I fixed my seat memory button. It works fine. I can setting up new positions of the seat and the driver's mirror. But, the passenger mirror don't go back to the saved position. I think it's the same problem as the tilt downward. But I can adjust the passenger's mirror manually. So, it's not positionning motor's issue. Please help!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I finally found the cause of the issue. It's positionning sensor inside the mirror motors's assembly. I fixed the contact on the PCB and works fine.:lol:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I finally found the cause of the issue. It's positionning sensor inside the mirror motors's assembly. I fixed the contact on the PCB and works fine.:lol:
I have the same problem,

Would it be possible to give some more details? was it a contact in the mirror or in the control box inside the car? did you do soldering or just a cleanup of the connector?

All info would be most appreciated!

·
Registered
11 Posts
BaronHellJug, like I wrote it's inside of the mirror's motor assembly. If I remember correctly, you have to disassemble the PCB of the two small motors. Be careful for linear positioners. It was the outer route (near the edge) that was oxidized. I rebuilt the connection with a piece of thin wire.

When reassembling, you have to centering the linear positioners with geared arms.

It's a bit difficult repair. Good luck!

Martin

1 - 19 of 19 Posts