SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took the rear wiper assembly of my car to investigate why it was not working... there is a round four wire plug on the end of the wire coming from the wiper motor... But nothing to plug it in to..? whats going on? the only wire coming from the drivers side of the hatch back has been messed with and now goes to the boot central locking motor.. cant think these two motors (cental locking and rear wiper) were ever on the same circuit.. Also should the rear wiper come on with the windscreen wipers... there dosn't seem to be a seperate switch.........????????

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Scott Alexander said:
Just took the rear wiper assembly of my car to investigate why it was not working... there is a round four wire plug on the end of the wire coming from the wiper motor... But nothing to plug it in to..? whats going on? the only wire coming from the drivers side of the hatch back has been messed with and now goes to the boot central locking motor.. cant think these two motors (cental locking and rear wiper) were ever on the same circuit.. Also should the rear wiper come on with the windscreen wipers... there dosn't seem to be a seperate switch.........????????
Ummm, I wonder if a previous owner obtained the motor, fitted that, then got a bit bored when they realised what else was going to be involved...?

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Scott Alexander said:
But there is a hole in the glass so it must have beeen part of the original kit, I don't understand.
No, they added the hole in the glass to all 3&5dr around the time they facelifted the bumpers/lights, but the wiper remained an option.

My mother's '86 flat front definitely didn't have it, because I remember her muttering about how much she'd have liked the wiper, but it was too expensive if she was going to have to replace the glass too.

My '90 has the hole with a bung in it. No sign of any wiring.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Is it possible to put a rear wiper on a car that never came with one...I should re phrase the questoin, is it feasible?

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
yep, done it on mine.....

wiring an water plumbing is relatively simple, tho you do have to drop the headliner run in front to back

G

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So .. mines a 92 model do we thing it had a bung in the glass originals then some one fitted a wipper, and found there was no place to plug it in and just left it at that..? if I was to run a wire were would I run it from..?

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
there is a wealth of info in the workshop.... just do a search for "rear wiper"

im rubbish with wiring, so wont even try and answer this (a mate did it on my car.... he actually made me a fabbed up cruise control stalk to use for intermittent / and wash settings, instead of the stock button that sits in the dash.... tis very cool)

G

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
you will need a different washer bottle if you put the wash on,as there are two pumps, one for windscreen and one for rear screen, unless you get an off the shelf pump and just put the pipe in the side of reservoir and plastic padding / silicone it in place, but at least with just the wiper you can clear the water off when raining anyway, better than having no wiper at all, but don't use it dry or you will have a nice arc scratching on the rear screen.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Why cant you mount it, splice power from something else and run a switch back under the carpet to the dash?

Taking the headlining out... are you mad?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
dropping the headliner isnt that big of a deal at all...

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
nnamssorxela said:
I would looooove to have that wiper, but I don't have a hole in my window...easy to make?
Impossible. You can't cut or drill toughened glass.

Of course, since one of you has a window with a hole which he doesn't want, and the other has no hole but wants one, I spot an easy solution...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts