SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to fix the rear windshield fluid sprayer so that it actually sprays the rear windshield? When I try to use it, I hear the pump(?) pushing the fluid to the back. Its takes a couple of seconds, and then it just seeps/leaks out. The wipers quickly wipes it away before it even gets a change to wet the rear window, making it seem useless. It's as it there is not enough pressure to quickly move the liquid out. The fluid reservior is full.

Does anyone have any thoughts on correct this? It's a '99 Saab 9-3 S Hatchback.

Thanks,
Saabdrvr.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I don't think Ive ever heard of anyone's actually working correctly, mine is like and old man trying to take a leak

·
Registered
633 Posts
Mine was just driping out earlier on and while i was doing some other car work yesterday I fixed it with a simple ... little ... pin.

Get a small pin and poke it into the hole. Push it in and move it around (this is not sounding right) and scrape the sides while doing it. After working on it for a little while that way it now shoots all the way to the spoiler.

Pretty sure if i could adjust it, it could "do Something" (edited for reasons)

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Slowpc said:
After working on it for a little while that way it now shoots all the way to the spoiler.

Pretty sure if i could adjust it, i could hit the car behind me.
Well, strictly speaking this should not be posted, but in my youth I did just this, in particular the curve in the Cavalier 3 glass is such that the water jet is really poor regardless of effort, so I adjusted the washer jet to give tailgaters a fright instead; now in the UK this is actually illegal, so don't do it.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
If I had my way, this would be legal. And this is a good idea...

Tailgating should be illegal !

There is a check valve leaking, so the washer system takes forever to "pump up"..
The VW has its own fluid supply in the back, works perfectly, but really is a minor thing.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
When I bought my car last year the rear didn't work at all. So what I did was disconnect the pipe to the rear washer and put some CLR (Calcium, Lime and Rust) Remover through the system. After that it was totally clear, but so clear it just completely overshot the rear windshield and back end of the car by about 1.5 feet. So I readjusted the nozzle with a pin, but the only point where it stays on the rear windshield is when it just appears to dribble down the rear windshield, but with a high volume. I believe I once read that this was how Saab intended it, to minimize fluid loss: high volume dribble down the rear windshield rather than have a full jet of it onto the rear windshield and end up with 50% deflect off of the landing point.

·
Registered
642 Posts
just went out with a needle and did some moving around, much better flow and if when I tried it straight out it shot at least 10ft, but then redirected back. Maybe I'll aim it back out for SOC to have some fun on the drive up. ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cleaning out the Rear Wiper pipe

Slaab4life said:
When I bought my car last year the rear didn't work at all. So what I did was disconnect the pipe to the rear washer and put some CLR (Calcium, Lime and Rust) Remover through the system. After that it was totally clear, but so clear it just completely overshot the rear windshield and back end of the car by about 1.5 feet. So I readjusted the nozzle with a pin, but the only point where it stays on the rear windshield is when it just appears to dribble down the rear windshield, but with a high volume. I believe I once read that this was how Saab intended it, to minimize fluid loss: high volume dribble down the rear windshield rather than have a full jet of it onto the rear windshield and end up with 50% deflect off of the landing point.

How did you apply the CLR Remover from the pipe to the rear washer? I haven't looked and it does't seem obvious. Is there a potential for damage the car from using this stuff? How do you clean it out after applying it?

Thanks,
Saabdrvr

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Lucky for me, I don't even know how to use the rear washer nozzle on mine. Never bothered to look for the button :)

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
DougR said:
Lucky for me, I don't even know how to use the rear washer nozzle on mine. Never bothered to look for the button :)
It is a slide control on the RS stalk.
I use it when I am too lazy to exit and wipe the backlite myself...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Tutututut :nono; You guys shouldn't let your lovely Saab's get dirty enough to even warrant using a rear wash!
Im going out now to polish mine again just to make you lot feel disgusted with yourselves!
:lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts