SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening from a cold but sunny Brisbane Australia. I have a pretty basic question here. I have only owned my August 1997 SAAB 900 since May this year and am still trying to find what I actually got. The car came with front body colour skirt and a rear spoiler, but other than that seems to be a very basic model (2.0ltr engine, SD1 electronics, manual seat adjustment, no heated seats, velour trim etc). Now don't get me wrong I think the car is great, but one of the things it hasn't got that I thought it would have was a rear window wiper. The spoiler has the "notch" in it to clear the wiper arm, but the body shows no sign of ever having one (and I have checked the car's history and it doesn't appear to have been damaged at any stage) Can anyone enlighten me about whether the wipers were options back in 1997, or point me to a site which would describe what these models were fitted with as standard and the options available?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Good Morning!! (My time, your original post went up at 8am!)

Wow, I can't even say for sure, because my 900 S model came with a 2.3L engine, heated seats, etc. It also did come with the rear wiper. I'm going to guess its a market thing, and having said that perhaps the Australia one did not include the rear wiper. I'm sure you could order one through a dealer or online if one is really wanted.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Maybe you can find a rear wiper from a yard in Australia, even then it would be rare, costly and complicated (wiring,switches,etc)..
Your Saab 900 must be an English "plain jane"...I am guessing.

Do you have air conditioning ??- this I consider vital..

Rain-X can be applied to the glass, this is a fantastic product, if reapplied every 4 to 6 weeks.

No need for the wipers, front or rear...

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Especially with the aerodynamics of our cars the rear window doesn't seem to catch much water at all. The only time I really use the rear wiper is for snow.
I'm not a RainX fan...but I do use it on the rear window.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My Aussie delivered 1997 900s Talladega 2.3 has rear wiper and jet, by 97 you would expect it to be standard, do you have the little switch for it at the end of the wiper stalk? Maybe someone ripped it off?
Shaun:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rear window wiper

Thanks to all for the responses. Actually I just realised my member profile was a bit misleading. When I joined the forum I thought I had bought a 900S, when it fact what I actually have is a 900. To try and respond to everyone at once, there isn't any sign that anything at all is broken or missing on the car (except the driver's seat lumbar support knob - which I assume from previous posts is a design weakness).

I am only the third owner and the second person only had it for a couple of years. The car has very low Kms (now 80,000) and it was one of a collection of luxury cars owned by bloke with lots of money on the Gold Coast. I'm not actually that worried about the lack of a wiper, as I agree that the rear window seems to clear itself quite well - even in some torrential Queensland downpours.

What I am a little curious about is the lack of equipment in the car, as I agree by 1997 I would have thought the rear wiper would have been standard (especially considering it has dual air bags). I can only assume the 900 was offered in very basic form but with a large range of optional extras. Any further thoughts?

By the way RAINEX works quite well on the windscreen of my Triumph Spitfire - windscreen wipers on old British cars seem to be for appearance only ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts