SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I'm moving to the states soon, and am saving some money that will be worth double what it is here in the UK, I'm currently in the thinking about what I'm going to do to the c900 I get when I'm there. But I kept coming back to the same problem - big power vs weak gearbox.

Now I understand that the upright 1994+ blocks have the vauxhal (GM) XE gearbox pattern, so there is a range of rear drive boxes out there. And also they do a bellhousing adapter for the XE pattern to fit ford boxes too.
Yeah I know a lot of people are going to say "dreamer" and the like but I want to make this happen. Is the XE pattern the same as the pattern used on rwd GM cars in the states? I've been researching but no joy, yet.

My list so far:

a new motor (1994+) - remounted with the flywheel facing the firewall

bellhousing adaptor

suitible GM or ford gear box (possibly an adaptor to get a supra gearbox?)

(failing the gearbox pattern being the same in the states, I would have a custom/cut and shut bellhousing made for a supra box)

custom engine mounts

clutch

slave

shifter and handbrake assemblys

Custom oil pan

Custom propshaft

drivetrain tunnel

rear axle

drive shafts

new rear suspension (copy and paste the dual wishbones from the front?)

Fuel tank where the backseats are (never use them anyway)

custom exhaust

extended firewall

Obviously custom engine auxillarys (i.e. mount the TB on the other side of the inlet, water hoses etc..)

Could have problems with the steering rack? I want a manual one anyway.

Anything else I need to add?

I know I could have bonnet clearance issues, that depends on the size of the box, as it will no longer be underneath the block. I would have the engine as low as possible for better weight distribution, but at the same time I don't care if I have to have a bonnet bulge :lol:

I'd prefer to have a supra box, they take torque well, why do you think dragracers use them?

I always wonder what box this guy is using/planning to use if he doesn't have one yet. Seems the engine is mounted with the flywheel at the front, surely it's not staying front drive?

I don't care how long/much it would take, well I guess I do have a limit, but money is money at the end of the day - and I love chucking it at my saab :p

Please don't come back with 4wd suggestions, I'm not interested! Also don't come back with buy a different car suggestion either.
I am serious about this. NO JOKE ;)

Kenny.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
sounds like you have been thinking about this :) i would love to see you pull this off. the one thing i would worry about is driveshaft clearance. you could probably run it down the channel that the cat and exhaust sits in...might have to modify a few other things, and reroute the exhaust for sure...that would be cool :cool:

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Sounds good... you forgot to add to your parts list:

$$$$$$$

jk ;)

Automotion Motorsports in Massachusetts converted a c900 to rear drive with an older 5.0 Mustang drivetrain. Might be worth it to speak with them and see what issues they had. They used to have several pictures on their website but I can't seem to find any except a pic of the engine bay.

I see a supercharger..... I imagine its the fastest c900 in America.

·
Registered
100 Posts
i like this guy.

if you find an adapter, i wanna know about it.. i think it would be quite fun to create a fox body mustang with a REAL 2.3 4 cyl turbocharged engine, and not that quirky little 150 hp job they had in the 80s.
JP

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yfs87 said:
sounds like you have been thinking about this :) i would love to see you pull this off. the one thing i would worry about is driveshaft clearance. you could probably run it down the channel that the cat and exhaust sits in...might have to modify a few other things, and reroute the exhaust for sure...that would be cool :cool:
Yeah, maybe too much!!
The plan is reroute the exhaust, possibly have a second drivetrain tunnel welded to the car for the exhaust to go through, and use the existing exhaust route for the prop. When I get things figured out RE: mating engine and gearbox, that's when I'll start the body work. I want the car to look stock(ish), so I'm going to try and have the tail pipe exit in the same position.
One thing I was worried about was where the silencer would fit, BUT on injection models there is a silencer at the back, just before the rear bumper, this space is still there on the turbo models, just not used. So fortunatly I'll have space for a silencer :D.

I don't want to do this to an spg, purely because they are becoming rare cars (that said I will install the body kit), I would consider starting with an injection model, but idealy I would like a turbo. Just because the engine managment is there for the turbo engine, and the plan for stand alone can be done at a later date, thus getting rid of any other unnessisary fiddling trying to get the car to run to begin with!

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
so would you lift up, spin round, and replace the b2*2 engine facing the correct way (ie, drive and clutch at the back).....?

if you were to do this, there would be good reason to make use of a "transaxle" from something like a BMW or other .... better wieght distribution and less hassle of mating the engine to gearbox

thought of this myself as a potential, but really cant be ar$ed ;)

G

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Hmmm .. you know subaru AWD's have a compact and strong differential and independent rear suspension that you could probalby adapt to the 900 shell ... they're about the same width and their tracks are pretty close - if you used an independent rear suspension your driveshaft wouldn't have to move up and down (as it would on a solid rear axle) SO you'd mitigate some clearance issues -

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
I think the only RWD GM car with that bolt pattern is a 1993 thru 2002 Firebird or Camaro, *V6* model 5-speed manual (well auto too...).

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
K-900 said:
Please don't come back with 4wd suggestions, I'm not interested!
Why not? You already have the front hubs that are set up to take driveshaft inputs, I think that an audi quattro 5 or 6-speed gearbox/transaxle would fit well where a standard RWD gearbox would fit in a C900. Turn the saab engine around and mount it on a slant and you should be able to clear the hood with a weight distribution that's pretty close to the stock C900's because of how the audi box is laid out. Then cobble together something simple like a live axle or de dion tube for the rear axle and you'd have something extremely cool.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've thought about a project such as this MANY times before, but the thing that keeps me up at night is how to "route" the transmission above or below the steering rack. As far as I can tell, it is completely in the way. What do you plan to do about this? A different steering rack? Different location? If you have a solution, I will surely use it in the future.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will admit my presence has been limited on here recently, I'm still thinking about the whole rwd drive thing

Since maptun have brought out a 6 speeder thats strong for the 9000, I was thinking cutting up the front end of a 9000 and having the c900 rear engine/rear wheel drive, and when it comes to gearbox rebuild, buy the 6 speeder.

But I will admit, although I love the classic 900, I'm being tempted to go german. I've always loved mk2 golf gti's, and sticking the 1.9tdi in one has always taken my fancy, for performance, and economy.

The other temptation to stray is the porsche 944 turbo... I wont say anymore about that.. because... right now I really want one :confused:

K

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you really want a car like a 944, go all out (and probably cheaper as well) and be more unique, get a late 80's RX-7. They rev higher, are more reliable if you know how to treat them, definately more unique with a ****el engine, still rear drive, and tons of fun to drive. I've actually beat a few 944's in mine. Both cars in the race were stock N/A models, the 7 beats all as always. Anyway, they also have more aftermarket products available at more reasonable prices. And if it's the look you're after, get an S4 ('86-'88). They look like the 944's so much that I actually had a girl date me because she thought it was a Porsche. I made the mistake one day of letting me down by telling the truth. We were talking about the car one day and being a blonde she said, "I didn't know Porsche made a Mazda." I had to correct her, and she was never to be heard from again (shallow, hot blondes will do that when they find out you don't have a Porsche.) I would still never trade it for anything, not even a 944. It's soon to have a $5000 engine swap done (That includes all the aftermarket goodies [like intercooler, computer, full exhaust, motor mount converters, turbo transmission, driveaxle, diff, and halfshafts, etc.].) Full twin turbo 2 rotor pumping out twice the power (about 270rwhp), and later to get an upgraded single turbo for 450rwhp.

I'm sorry that's all one paragraph, but I'm too tired to seperate them right now. It's 3AM here. 'Night all!

·
Registered
389 Posts
900t said:
I think the only RWD GM car with that bolt pattern is a 1993 thru 2002 Firebird or Camaro, *V6* model 5-speed manual (well auto too...).
how sure about that are ya? cause that would make things very interesting...

Paul

1 - 15 of 15 Posts