SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi...1999 Saab 9-3SE, and I think I'm going insane here :rolleyes:

One of my rear bulbs is out: It's in the left/drivers side tail assembly -- the one with 3 bulbs in it -- and if you're standing behind the car looking at it from the rear, it's the bulb on the right (i.e., closest to the license plate).

The owner's manual doesn't list the bulb numbers (only what wattage they should be), there's no visible number on the old bulb, I can find absolutely zero info online, and when I looked at the bulb on the other side, I realized it was different: i.e., one has offset pegs, one doesn't.

Can anyone offer any insight on the appropriate light bulb numbers here?

Thanks so much for your help-
RT

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi...1999 Saab 9-3SE, and I think I'm going insane here :rolleyes:

One of my rear bulbs is out: It's in the left/drivers side tail assembly -- the one with 3 bulbs in it -- and if you're standing behind the car looking at it from the rear, it's the bulb on the right (i.e., closest to the license plate).

The owner's manual doesn't list the bulb numbers (only what wattage they should be), there's no visible number on the old bulb, I can find absolutely zero info online, and when I looked at the bulb on the other side, I realized it was different: i.e., one has offset pegs, one doesn't.

Can anyone offer any insight on the appropriate light bulb numbers here?

Thanks so much for your help-
RT

Check this out, It may help Saab 9-3 Rear Light Bulbs

·
Registered
9,677 Posts
All the main lamps on these cars going back to the 99 are P21... Single filament are P21W and dual filament are P21/5W. There are different bulbs for license plate and CHMSL but everything else back there is one of those two.

·
Registered
Current: 2000 9-3 Aero 5d, Family: 85 900i 3dr.
1,204 Posts
I recall an issue in that some hatch models didn't come with a second fog light globe installed. This is the one that sits behind the key interface on the rear hatch.
The offset 'pegs' issue - indicates a dual filament globe.

·
Registered
9,677 Posts
People use 1156 but P21W is what is specified. It's in the manual, and at least on c900s it etched into the "circuit." Both are BA15 bases, so both fit, but P21W is (obviously) a 21w bulb and 1156 is 27w. In a pinch, sure, use 1156 but I would personally recommend sticking with P21W to help reduce the possibility of heat damage. Most every European car uses P21, so they are fairly readily available. I always recommend rockauto here as a pair of name brand bulbs is under $1.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I appreciate everyone's help. In the end, here's where I'm at: 7528 will work for the double contact bulb, and 7506 is probably the single contact one (Sylvania numbers at least, and these would appear to address the 21W issue).

If I'm off we'll see, but I think this solves things. Thank you again to everyone.

·
Registered
10,409 Posts
Yes, in North America Sylvania (and probably other brands) do supply Euro spec bulbs, but use their own numbering system.

The small print on the package will give the wattage at, if I recall, 13.5V.

You can look at the base of the bulb, it should be made somewhere in the EU and it should have a European approval, this is an Ex in a box, with x being a number, e.g. E1 being a German approval. (I don't have one of those bulbs on hand to check if what I am saying is true. :rolleyes:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts