SaabCentral Forums banner

rear swaybar vs full kit?

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  lux95 
#1 ·
#3 ·
All depends on what other supporting suspension mods and alignment you have.

A rear bar only on a stock base or Aero should be fine.allot of of front negative camber and a bigger rear bar you could have some low speed situations where the rear could come around.

#4 ·
In the same boat

I also am interested in the sway bar mods.
I have an 01 aero estate with bilstein's and HR springs. The Bilstein's were valves to suit the springs and our use but I stuns the car still has a lot of body roll. I have thought about bigger sway bars as per the sas site but they are so much bigger and I worry they will just be too much of a step up.
I always thought fed cars liked bigger rear bars, smaller frontsto help with traction and turn in?

#5 ·
I have both SAS sways, but only the rear installed. I intended on installing the front as well but the subframe drop is what holding me up a bit. I will say that adding the rear helped with understeer quite a bit. So much in fact that I'm really pleased with the way the car handles now with the lower springs and Konis...I may not ever install the front! :eek:

BTW that one from Ultra racing is too small at 20mm. The SAS one is 22mm for the rear, and I think it could actually be bigger. I know a guy with a mazdaspeed running a 26mm rear sway :eek:

#9 ·
The rear is easy to get a used one. 2006+ all use an aero spec rear bar regardless of trim level. That ultra racing thing does not look like it will fit.

#10 ·
Size issues

Well 1st I will apologise for the shocking iPad induced typo's in my last post.

I just worry that such a large front bar will cause understeer and picking up the inside wheel on tight corners. It's not expensive to buy the bars but it's a lot of time to get them sorted.

Hasn't anybody experimented?

#14 ·
I installed SAS front and rear antisway bars on my 9-5 Aero with Koni Yellows and Eibach springs. I must say I dont find it stiff at all. Its sure footed. I too ran with only the rear fitted for a couple of months. Rear was easy to install and the instructions from SAS fairly clear. But the front is another story as the subframe drop or lower is needed. Add to that the old antisway bar bolts might be rusted in place and can break upon removal so I just took it down to my Saab mechanic. He had it done in no time. No such problems as wheels lifting or extreme rigidty. Not a problem..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.