SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tackled rebuilding the rear suspension by replacing all the bushings? and if so what would the differences be between the rubber and polyurothane? has anyone used the urothane bushings?

·
Registered
751 Posts
i would use the standard rubber bushings unless your going to be doing rally or tracking. its a pretty simple job, just time consuming. burn the bushes out, aim the blow torch at the "eye" of the bush and heat till its on fire and the centre just drops out. easy as pie, and not a bead of sweat :)

putting the new bushes in is a bit tricky sometimes. the hardest bushes are on the torque arms, be sure you've got them going in true and the rubber lip is going in true all the way round or you may end up spliting the bush. the bush with the metal sleeve is simple so long as you keep it straight!! :roll: ;)

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! Does it help a whole lot, (like make the car stiff again or new). or does it just help a little?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
think old p.o.s. car, then think new car...thats the difference it makes. if you have a press that is useful for popping in the trailing arm bushings, as well as the torque rod bushings. The trailing arm on the right side is a lil bit of a pain to get to due to the fuel tank. you may need to loosen the two straps holding the tank and move it a little to get to it. I use all urethane bushings and feel they last longer and tighten things up a little...i know other dont feel its worth it but i figure if you have it apart already, the price difference is small enough that you might as well do it.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Is it a huge difference with the poly bushings? I want the car to be stiffer but I dont want a track car's suspension. I consider the 900 to be a sporty car not a sports car. I want it to be responsive not ride really rough. And thanks for the replies!!!:D

·
Registered
304 Posts
davidlytle said:
Has anyone tackled rebuilding the rear suspension by replacing all the bushings?
I did mine about 6 weeks ago... made huge difference. I did springs & shocks @ same time, also inspected/cleaned/repacked my rear wheel bearings.

My passenger rear tortion bar (eg: from axle to back stays on either side of gas tank) had the bolt frozen to inner metal sleeve in bushing, which was totally detached from the rubber.

and if so what would the differences be between the rubber and polyurothane? has anyone used the urothane bushings?
I went stock. Lots of comments in archives here that poly was not "a little stiffer", but a lot... I didn't want that. Also I was persuaded by Jim Mesthane, who points out the stock bushings lasted +/- 20yrs... not too shabby.

I'd caution to mark all your bolts: there's a lot of different sizes there.

JimmyG said:
putting the new bushes in is a bit tricky sometimes. the hardest bushes are on the torque arms, be sure you've got them going in true and the rubber lip is going in true all the way round or you may end up spliting the bush.
I did that. :eek: Ended up having a shop press the rest in.

yfs87 said:
The trailing arm on the right side is a lil bit of a pain to get to due to the fuel tank. you may need to loosen the two straps holding the tank and move it a little to get to it.
The tank is flexible enough there to press gently w/a pry bar to create space needed to get wrench on inner nut. At least that's what I did.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts