SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really not sure whether "rebuild" is too strong a word or not, but...

One PfS bush kit
One pair of ARB bushes
One pair of springs
One pair of dampers
Big pile of new nylocs
Several knuckles, rude words and miscellaneous pools of sweat...

Blimey, that's made a difference! After 150k miles, it was getting a bit loose - but all the crashing, looseness and movement - gone. It's stiffened up a smidge, but the extra control makes up for that, giving good compliance.

I used the PfS Lesjofors standard springs & Sachs springs - my commute's a load of back lanes and speed bumps, and on the old (presumed standard) springs, I was grounding the centre mudflaps regularly. The old and new ones were the same height unloaded, but with the weight back on the wheels, there must be about an extra inch between tyres and arches... You _can_ feel the extra height a bit, though.

So - doing it... It's one of those jobs I *really* wouldn't want to tackle without a decent workshop - not so much for airtools etc (everything came undone, just one damper top nut needing grinding) but for the ramp and a decent hydraulic gearbox support to hold the axle up - all that was attaching the cross axle to the car at one stage was the flexi brake pipes & handbrake cables! Having a handy flypress, drifts and lathe to modify various bits of scrap for drifts was certainly useful, too...

Anything particularly tricky? No, not really... Just think. Plenty of "take the weight", "lever it a bit", and "pass me that hammer..." You've got to be careful not to stress the brake flexi pipes - if I were doing it again, I think I'd have a new pair on standby - especially when getting the bolt for the axle end of the Panhard rod out past the tank - gawd knows why it was fed in from the rear originally, because it goes in and comes out from the front far more easily...

Watch out for strange threads - there's M10, M11 and M12 in there, which is a pain when you come to rummage new nylocs out (the M11s are the Panhard rod, so probably the most re-usable) - and make sure you keep track of what bolts are from where.

Wish I'd noticed earlier that the bush kit didn't include ARB bushes - finally sourced a pair from the Finchley (N London) dealer, so a "quick" 2.5hr round trip to go grab 'em... Mind you, they were actually quite a chunk cheaper from the dealer than from PfS... (£3 cheaper each, plus they gave me a 15% disc without asking).

The _really_ knackered ones were the front ends of the torque arms (the inner sleeves just fell out), top damper bushes and ARB. I didn't actually bother fitting the front and rear spring link bushes - the old ones looked absolutely fine, and whilst the fronts would be easy to do, the backs would require either the axle removing (and so brake pipes doing) or pressing out in situ.

In all? A _really_ big difference.

Shame I ran out of time to do the other stuff planned... Back in the workshop tomorrow morning! (Towbar fit, AMM adjust and a couple of minor tickles. Oh, yeh... MOT...)

·
Registered
716 Posts
TooMany2cvs said:
I used the PfS Lesjofors standard springs
I have been looking into getting some of these for rear suspension.
The Lesjofors website lists 3 different rear springs - code 4277801, 4277802, and 4277800 - for standard and heavy duty springs.

What was the code on the PFS Lesjofors standard springs? I was thinking of getting the heavy duty springs, but I cannot find an online supplier who lists these.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RickyS said:
What was the code on the PFS Lesjofors standard springs?
Don't know. There was a paper label attached, but I peeled it off and binned it... Their website doesn't say, and they weren't boxed. They're black, if that's any help...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts