SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it finally got to me enough (and I had the time).

I put the rear end up on ramps and went to work.
I was getting a rattling noise and a few other shock related sounds ...

With the car in the air, I pushed on the rear bumper ... yup ... noise!:evil:
I had my 16 year old nephew come out and push on the bumper while I was under the car ... it sounded like the noise was coming from where the shock meets the body of the car.
I got out from underneath and listened at the wheel wells ... yup, definately something there.

I got back underneath since I hadn't heard any rattles ... I grabbed both shocks and they both move where they bolted to the axel ... not much, but enough to cause a rattle for sure!:evil:

I went into the garage and grabbed a 17mm socket on a 1/2 inch ratchet and tightened those bolts up ... OK ... no more rattle!:cheesy:

Then I went and bounced the bumper ... no more noise of any kind!:eek:

What? Can anyone possibly explain how this could be!
Believe me, I'm happy that the noise is gone ... but damn! I could have easily fixed this some time ago!:roll:

Oh well ... I'll have a nice quiet drive to work in the morning ... and no more neighbours looking at my car like it was going to fall apart before their very eyes!:cheesy:

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
SaabScott said:
Well, it finally got to me enough (and I had the time).

I put the rear end up on ramps and went to work.
I was getting a rattling noise and a few other shock related sounds ...

With the car in the air, I pushed on the rear bumper ... yup ... noise!:evil:
I had my 16 year old nephew come out and push on the bumper while I was under the car ... it sounded like the noise was coming from where the shock meets the body of the car.
I got out from underneath and listened at the wheel wells ... yup, definitely something there.

I got back underneath since I hadn't heard any rattles ... I grabbed both shocks and they both move where they bolted to the axle ... not much, but enough to cause a rattle for sure!:evil:

I went into the garage and grabbed a 17mm socket on a 1/2 inch ratchet and tightened those bolts up ... OK ... no more rattle!:cheesy:

Then I went and bounced the bumper ... no more noise of any kind!:eek:

What? Can anyone possibly explain how this could be!
Believe me, I'm happy that the noise is gone ... but damn! I could have easily fixed this some time ago!:roll:

Oh well ... I'll have a nice quiet drive to work in the morning ... and no more neighbours looking at my car like it was going to fall apart before their very eyes!:cheesy:
I'll guess that you have over 100,000 miles on this fine automobile and that the rear shocks are original.
IMO, these may well last forever, but the rubber bushings do NOT. Back in the 60s and 70s we used to replace these bushings as a separate item, over the miles and years they are pounded into something much smaller ..Good to see that this is still possible..
P/N is : 42 46 336 and 344 for the upper rubber...
Blow the mind of an uninitiated parts-man tomorrow..

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
earthworm said:
I'll guess that you have over 100,000 miles on this fine automobile and that the rear shocks are original.
IMO, these may well last forever, but the rubber bushings do NOT. Back in the 60s and 70s we used to replace these bushings as a separate item, over the miles and years they are pounded into something much smaller ..Good to see that this is still possible..
P/N is : 42 46 336 and 344 for the upper rubber...
Blow the mind of an uninitiated parts-man tomorrow..
It is quite amazing what happens to rubber bushings over time. Last fall when my friend took over the ownership of my old C900 we tackled the rear control arm bushings. The bushings had been deformed by almost a centimeter. Amazing that you can take a perfect round hole about 1/2 centimeter for the bolt to go through and turn it into an oval about a bolt's width wide and about 2 bolt's with long.

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Earthworm ... you may have just nailed it on the head!

I have 305,000 km's on the car (about 185,000 miles) and yes, I believe the rear shocks are original!:eek:
They still perform as designed ... I am not unhappy with the way they hold the road at all ...
I'll give my dealer a call and see if they can give me a reasonable cost on the bushings ...

I'll post the pricing when I get it.

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Energy Suspension has poly versions of these parts available if you're looking to upgrade. They're reanonably priced but there is no SAAB specific listing so you have to measure and then match them up to their catalog.

G

·
GaryG said:
Energy Suspension has poly versions of these parts available if you're looking to upgrade. They're reanonably priced but there is no SAAB specific listing so you have to measure and then match them up to their catalog.
Maybe it's these ones available from a store I use:
http://www.speedparts.se/prod/sp_ch_bus_900-93.shtml

The illustration and list has the part numbers. (Hope I didn't brake any rules with my first post here)

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Tech^CF said:
Maybe it's these ones available from a store I use:
http://www.speedparts.se/prod/sp_ch_bus_900-93.shtml

The illustration and list has the part numbers. (Hope I didn't brake any rules with my first post here)
No rules broken and welcome to Saab Central!

Unfortunately, the bushings I need are for the rear shocks ... nothing else at this point ... and they seem to be about the only things not listed!:roll:

I just checked with the dealer ... $15 for the lower bushings and $7.00 each for the upper and lower bushing for the top of the shock ... roughly $30 per side ...

Any comments?
Anyone have any thoughts on how much of a difference that would make?
I would have to say that it would be one of the easier bushing changes on the car ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts