SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all :)
Well after reading many threads and advice from people on here I decided to replace my rear suspension with Spax Advantage dampers (from PFS) and the Ventura heavy duty sports springs (from Europarts).......
One problem.....
Rang europarts and they have only one spring in stock and no sign of any future orders.......... :evil:
Don't really want to go and install the ventura lowering kit (-40mm) as am livin in SE london and speed bumps are a plenty... Would prefer to keep the standard sports suspension ride height...
Europarts quoted £30 each for sports springs from the Saab dealer...... What do people reckon on these??
Would also be grateful of advice to any alternatives???
Saabists please advise!!!
Cheers - Johnniek

·
Registered
17 Posts
the Kilen -25mm springs seem to get other peoples vote as a good compromise between better handling around the twisties and getting over speed humps. A well known online retailer starting with "Elk" and ending with "parts" sell 'em for a good price (you try spelling the whole name on this forum :nono; ).

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Just had the Kilen -25mm springs fitted to my car along with a set of Bilsteins, and it's totally transformed. I'm hoping it'll be OK on speed bumps as I used to bottom out before.

Only real test were the ones leaving the Oxford services on the M40, and even crawling I grounded the exhaust :(

Drives so well though...!

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
I don't dare fit anything lower than stock sports suspension with the roads in rural Suffolk. I think the stock turbo setup was very good anyway, and of course people are usually judging springs that have been on the car for 15 years. I'll be fitting these shortly and using the Sachs Advantage sports dampers.

(note that that is a front spring I linked to as that is what I need)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for the responses :)
I decided not to drop the car yet..... Keep the cash and spend it on changing all the dampers to sachs advantage. Am too worried i'll bottom out all the time.

I did see those turbo springs on PFS's website but wasn't sure if they were for sports suspension or not. As I guess you could have a non aero turbo without the sports set up? (please correct me if I'm wrong!)

I understand that all 900's tend to look like the front is riding higher than the back.. Hence i thought my rear springs needed changing.... I guess that they only way to go would be new genuine saab sports springs all around and go from there...

Cheers again! JohnnieK

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
for what it is worth, I was a bit apprehensive about dropping mine, as the roads in liverpool are the worst ive ever known (seriously, foot deep potholes..... i kid you not) and some of the speedbumps are more like small tables (i think the council consider potholes as a cheap traffic calming method)

having said that, i bought some springs off ebay a few weeks ago, which dropped my girl by around 35mm, and ive not hit the bottom once (apart from my front bumper when coming out my drive, but I can get around that)

dont be put off dropping yours too much, its not that bad as far as ive found
good luck
G

·
Registered
487 Posts
If you are going to do rear shocks then please read This

You may have to order the rear lower shock bolt from saab. Do so before hand as it has to come from Sweden (last Uk order was 2002) to avoid being carless like myself :roll:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey:)
Well that link re the rear shock bolts isn't working but i guess that they can be problematic!
I'm getting B&D in Hythe Kent to do the work. They've been very good before and I recommend them without hesitation..
I just hope that i notice a difference in the car afterwards....
Next stop a forge Dump Valve ...... But i won't add to the thousands of quotes on the Atmosptheric vs Recirc valve debate on here... I say the more noise the better! Lol
Cheers for your assistance and will post results when sorted.... ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey all :)
Just wanted to say got the work done.. all four shocks replaced with sachs advantage... they've bedded in know (or i've got used to them! Lol) and things seem a bit firmer and more contolled..
The ones on there were most likely original.. not bad for 14 years and nearly 150k miles!
Cheers for all the helpful comments..
PS got a pic uploaded at last!!

·
Super Moderator
11,586 Posts
The lower shock bolt isn't anything particularly special. It's M12x80 and you MUST have it in high tensile (Grade 8.8 or better). Yes it has a cone point, but I really don't like the idea of hammering a bolt in - nothing like knackering the thread, and of course that would also take the zinc plating off so the bolt will rust quicker. I just bought decent quality bolts for mine - about £1.20 each and they went in fine.

Anti seize is ok, but don't forget if it goes on the thread, then the torque value required to tighten the bolt will change. Don;t ask me how much as I don't know - and it would depend on what you use as well.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Ahh i could have done with knowing this a week ago. As it was spent £12 at stealership !! ;oops:

You live and learn....

·
Registered
204 Posts
Aero Ride Height

Jezzadee said:
I don't dare fit anything lower than stock sports suspension with the roads in rural Suffolk. I think the stock turbo setup was very good anyway, and of course people are usually judging springs that have been on the car for 15 years. I'll be fitting these shortly and using the Sachs Advantage sports dampers.
Just came across this after wondering whether I should replace the springs and dampers when I remove the suspension to change all the bushes. Those bush kits from PFS seem good value. Don't fancy poly bushes. Think the resultant ride might be a bit harsh for British roads. The track, no.

I was just wondering what the difference between the Aero suspension and normal suspension is. I think the Aero is a bit lower is it not? Or is the same height but stiffer. So when the springs talk about lowering a car 25mm is this below the Aero or standard height?

I'd like to improve the handling but want to maintain some comfort. I was thinking about just putting Saab springs in. I would think that changing all the bushes, springs and dampers would have such a big improvement that there would be no need to spend more on lowering kit? Jezz, have you fitted the parts yet? Whats it like if you have?

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
The LPT was a bit contrary, because the sports suspension, like on a T16S or Carlsson, was an option but never standard. Every Aero I've seen has it, but apparently not all. The springs are colour coded with a small spot of paint - gold or silver indicates sports suspension. Of course it is now under 15 years of grime so very hard to tell. I've got Ventura heavy duty turbo springs at the rear which are the same height as the sports suspension, and Sachs Advantage sports dampers, which are the same as the original sports shocks. I had a look at changing the bushes but they all looked OK so I left them. The ride is quite firm but not excessively, although the roads round here are very very rough, so I'm less concerned with ride comfort and more with not scraping the underside. I didn't get the fronts on yet as an imminent gearbox rebuild has messed up my plans a bit.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
johnniek said:
Don't really want to go and install the ventura lowering kit (-40mm) as am livin in SE london and speed bumps are a plenty... Would prefer to keep the standard sports suspension ride height...
My 99 has -40 springs on and it now sits higher than it did with the original 25 year old springs on!

·
Registered
883 Posts
I have Ventura springs but the rears are not really that much lower than stock and as old springs will have sagged significantly you may even find they are higher. My set of Ventura springs realy slammed the front though - this is where you have to be carefull with speed bumps.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I fitted the 25mm Kilen lowering springs on my NA900 Cabriolet and left the standard shocks on. Found the ride incredibly improved and still doesnt bottom out on speed bumps

1 - 16 of 16 Posts