SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

On my '99 9-3 convertible, I've learned today that the right rear spring is toast, and maybe the left one, as well as the fact that the body is going to need some work due to rust. This was told to me by a local brake shop

I have 0 experience with body work and maybe 10% of experience with suspension work (replaced front struts and tie rods before and that's it)

He told me that I could replace the spring but the fact that there's "a hole" or something means that it's going to need to be repaired by a body shop, and that hitting the right pot hole might send "the whole thing down to the ground", his words

Is this a DIY project? How expensive does this sound if I brought it to a body shop? I'd be happy to take the wheel off and take some pics if needed as well

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3 Posts
It doesn’t look to bad to me and I live in the rust belt. The bottom could be replaced with new control arms and the top reinforced with some strategic patch welding if it is truly weakened... hard to access from pictures.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Body shop told me they wouldn't touch it since it's 'illegal' to repair a frame, but someone in their backyard could do it and repaint it and it'd be fine

1 - 4 of 4 Posts