SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I replaced the rear spears in my 2004 9-3 Linear (7-speaker, 150W system) and one of them blew out. Thus, I need to replace them again. This time, however I'd like to see if anyone has any experience with this.

I don't want an amp, and I don't care about increasing the max volume (I'm only concerned with what I'm able to hear, not passersby). That said, can anyone recommend speakers that would facilitate better quality sound without the need for complicated, additional components?

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
4" coaxials. Lots will fit.
These speakers don't get a lot of power, so I would check the voice coil for continuity. It's possible you have a connection problem or amplifier issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, that definately narrows it down. So what wattage should I be looking for? I noticed that the speakers at Best Buy have significant variation in Watts, frequency, and that Omega symbol (whatever that corresponds to?). It's a little overwhelming and, naturally, the salesman is rarely much assistance.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Almost all 4" speakers will be fine. It's pretty rare that a speaker that size can't handle 50 watts. In the Saab that particular speaker probably gets closer to 10 watts.

You want 4 ohm impedance (omega symbol = ohm).

Most people here seem happiest with Boston Acoustics or Infinity. I would use a coaxial speaker less than $100/pair. These speakers provide "rear fill," designed to simlulate the echo that would be coming at you from behind if your car were an auditorium. So don't go crazy on some high-end speakers for this particular location. Mid-priced Pioneers, Kenwoods, JBL's, or Sonys would probably be just fine. You can't go wrong with Infinity because they seem to make about 6 different "grades" of speaker in each size.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts