SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am getting ready to upgrade the stereo in my 99 93 convertible.

What size are the rear speakers?

Based on the grills I would guess they are 6.5" but I keep reading that the rears are 6x9's.

Thank you for the help.

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
Aftermarket 6.5's will fit but you will very likely need to modify the steel bracket by bending it. The metal speaker baskets on nearly all aftermarket coaxial or triaxial speakers are much more substantial and larger at the mounting edge than the stock speakers. The modification is easy and only requires some pliers or channel locks to do, so don't be concerned. I just did not want you to think that they would be simple drop in replacements with zero modifications required.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aftermarket 6.5's will fit but you will very likely need to modify the steel bracket by bending it. The metal speaker baskets on nearly all aftermarket coaxial or triaxial speakers are much more substantial and larger at the mounting edge than the stock speakers. The modification is easy and only requires some pliers or channel locks to do, so don't be concerned. I just did not want you to think that they would be simple drop in replacements with zero modifications required.
Modifying the mounting is not a problem for me.

I was just hoping they were 6x9's as I was going to run a pair of 6x9 subwoofers on a small amp in the rear.

Since they are 6.5" I am going to nix that plan.

I have always had an extensive audio system in most of my cars.

I am uncertain at what I am going to do with this car.

My current car is a Honda Accord with a ton of equipment.

I am looking to keep it mild with this car.

I am going to try a few options and will make a thread about it once I get things going.

Again thanks for the information

1 - 5 of 5 Posts