SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replacing the speakers in my T16S - going for some 4" Alpine co-ax speakers in the dash, but wondering what size I can fit in the back? I'd like to keep them hidden in the stock locations but obviously bigger is better to try to create a bit of bass. What size can I get away with? Anybody have any pics?

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
the stock size is 4x10 inch, how many decent replacements available is another matter

after some searching on the forums, i found that only a few manufacturers made 4x10's, and of these, even fewer imported to the UK market (Pioneer for example... Pioneer USA vs Pioneer Europe/UK etc :evil: ). In the end, I found a supplier of Audiobahn 4x10's, readily bought a pair, but they turned out to be complete sh!te.... within 6 months they were farting, popping and rattling, having been driven straight from the head unit (no extra amps). I tried arranging taking them back to the supplier, but as he wasnt local, i had to pre-arrange a time, which he never showed up to... this continued until after the 12 month period, so replacements FOC where out of the question so just cut my losses.. i now use some 10" drivers from my old cabinet speakers... sounds better, better made, cost me nothing so not bothered if they die

in my opinion, YES its desirable to keep the speakers in the stock location, but in reality, the hassle, time and advantages are seriously outwieghed.... my advice would be to shelf mount some known, or recomended decent regular shape units, then recover the shelf

G

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
if youre willing to do the mods i suggest that you fit a decent pair of 5x8's if they are used correctly some can produce as much bass as a small 10 inch subwoofer.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, not seen any of either of those size :(

Caraudiodirect do 5x7s (Ford fitment apparently) - would those be any good? I'm assuming it would be the 5" that is the problem in that it'll be wider than the space.

What mods are needed?

·
Registered
181 Posts
6x4" elliptical speakers are the largest size that will fit the factory hole without modification. I put 4" round speakers in mine because it seems to be easier to get a high-quality 4" speaker than it does to get a 6x4".

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will 4" give any decent sound though? Will have them up the front obviously but surely you need the biggest speakers you can fit at the back for a bit of weight?

Maybe I should just order 2 sets of 4"...

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
fliptopbin said:
OK, not seen any of either of those size :(

Caraudiodirect do 5x7s (Ford fitment apparently) - would those be any good? I'm assuming it would be the 5" that is the problem in that it'll be wider than the space.

What mods are needed?
well the modifications are what you will need to cut to make them fit into the stock speaker holes. 5x7's are good also, depending on the quality of the speakers they will be better at producing more mid range bass, so more like a small 8 inch subwoofer

basically as i have worked out and have been told:

2 7x10's can produce the same as a 15 inch subwoofer
2 6x9's can produce as much bass as a 12 inch subwoofer
2 5x8's can put out as much bass as a small 10 inch subwoofer
2 5x7's can produce as much bass as a small 8 inch subwoofer

with my setup ive decided to throw out the old stock speakers in the back and fit a pair of decent 6x9's. with the volume up i have the rear view mirrors shaking, but excellent sound quality

hope this helps

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
fliptopbin said:
Will 4" give any decent sound though? Will have them up the front obviously but surely you need the biggest speakers you can fit at the back for a bit of weight?
How about fitting the 4-inch units (or 4x10) for mid/top and using a sub in the boot instead for bass? You're then using the drive units for what they're best at, instead of chasing weight from small drivers.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like your thinking but I really don'ty want to go down the sub/6x9s route :( Just looking for something that will give the biggest punch from the back.

TBH apart from a few Pioneers in the US I can't find any 4x10s. I think I may try the 5x7s in the rear and hope I can bodge them to fit...

·
Registered
563 Posts
basically as i have worked out and have been told:

2 7x10's can produce the same as a 15 inch subwoofer
2 6x9's can produce as much bass as a 12 inch subwoofer
2 5x8's can put out as much bass as a small 10 inch subwoofer
2 5x7's can produce as much bass as a small 8 inch subwoofer
There is no way this can be true.

Subwoofers are desigened to play only low frequencies and are typically crossed over below 100hz while the other speakers produce the full range of frequencies. You can't expect one speaker to do it all.

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
Does anyone know if the US Pioneer 4x10 units are any good?

fliptopbin said:
I like your thinking but I really don'ty want to go down the sub/6x9s route :( Just looking for something that will give the biggest punch from the back.
You could always buy a Stealth Shelf. It's a reinforced, more robust version of a parcel shelf, with cut-outs for drive units but with an acoustically transparent fabric overlay to conceal the ICE.

I think they cost £100 but it should be easy to rip-off the idea for DIY.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
From what I've heard there really is NO good 4x10 speaker. It is aparently a horrible design, and although I've never really seen any professional opinion on the matter, my own experiences have been less than good.

In the end I always cut the rear deck and either add 6x9's or 6.5" components which, at the moment, sound the best.

parts-express.com has some decent speakers

·
Registered
198 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
4x10 to 6x9 adapter

You can buy an inexpensive adapter that will allow you to mount a 6x9 speaker in the 4x10 cutout. Of course, it will require some modification to get it to work in our cars, but if you have some time and a few tools you can do it in a day.

The 6x9 size sounds better and more speakers are available compared to the 4x10 size.

·
Registered
198 Posts
brownie said:
You can buy an inexpensive adapter that will allow you to mount a 6x9 speaker in the 4x10 cutout. Of course, it will require some modification to get it to work in our cars, but if you have some time and a few tools you can do it in a day.

The 6x9 size sounds better and more speakers are available compared to the 4x10 size.
Is there a pic of one you could post? - I may be able to re-create :D

The underside of the side ledges where the speakers mount is only 4.5" wide, however this can be made to be 6" by some modification (i was thinking of making a wooden bracket).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Fronts are important too

The best thing you can do for the front is to go with some kind of component set. I have a 4" Kenwood component set that I like a lot and the cost was around 100 dollars. I installed the tweeter in the blank spot on the dash grille. The set came with crossovers and several mounting options for the tweeter. I like how I was able to mount it at a slight angle, which has to be better than sticking straight-up towards the windshield glass.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys!

A few options then!

The Kenwood 4x10s look interesting, good reviews, could get a pair delivered from the states for under 50 quid.

However those blue converters look great and a much tidier solution than bodging the car myself!

As for the fronts I gather components are better when fitted in doors with the tweeters higher up, and coaxials in the dash where they will bounce sound off the glass.

·
Registered
80 Posts
kenwood 4x10

I had the kenwood 4x10 for a few years and they're much better than stock, but the foam woofer surround cracked after about 5 years and it's not because I was running too much power. It was likely due to the heat coming in through the rear window. When the 4x10 Kenwoods broke I went with the 6x9 conversion and it's much better, even with mediocre 6x9 Pioneers from Walmart.

If you go with the 6x9 converters you'll likely need a Dremel type tool to trim the blue plastic. It's a very tight fit in that area, as you know, so it will take a bit of fine tuning to get it right.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts