SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My driver side rear shock began leaking pretty badly, like puddle of hydraulic fluid on the ground bad. Have to replace them now and searching for replacement parts.
Car is a 2010 9-3 Aero XWD. When I looked online though for replacements, most anything I could find was specified as "FWD" only and the XWD variants I could find were $500 Saab originals. My question is: Is there really a difference in shocks/structs between the FWD and XWD variants? Could I get away with installing the FWD variant on my car?

Much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
The XWD cars use self leveling shocks in the rear that’s why they are so much more expensive. You can convert the rear to regular shocks but you also need to replace the springs as the XWD springs won’t sit right with fwd shocks. Contact esaabparts and they will get you the kit you need to do the conversion. It’s cheaper than just one of the self leveling shocks.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I’ve done this conversion myself as have many others and there are zero issues with it using the kit they provide. Or if you search here people have listed what size springs you need if you want to source parts on your own.

·
Registered
40 Posts
@kombs85 Thank You! They are on vacation now but I see the kit here: https://www.esaabparts.com/viewparts.php?searchpart=1&section=5731598

Is there any special equipment required for installing the coilover spring, such as a spring compressor etc?
I would source the parts and use Eibach springs and a spacer instead. Not sure what springs eSaabparts uses, looks like a quality kit though.
I just did the same as below last week and it's amazing. Mechanic put it on in an hour or so, he said he noted the parts numbers and is going to do it for all his clients going forward when they have the same Nivomat issue.

If you tow - or are looking for a cheaper setup - you can skip the spacers and used 12" springs.
The setup above lowers the rear 1/2" (to Aero height), with 12" springs it will raise it 1/2".

This thread is excellent, in particular this post. Kevin recommends V6 Aero Springs in the front.

I went with Bilstein B4s as the previous owner had redone the front suspension just 20K ago, so I went with a more stock feel to match the front. The handling is markedly improved, so much so it makes me want to go aftermarket with the front. I cannot stress enough how great this setup is and I think you'll be much happier if you go with Bilstein/Konis & Eibach's instead of that kit.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Nothing special required for the springs. They go on really easy. It’s seriously an hour job it’s very painless. The springs esaabparts uses are great. The car will ride and handle better than it came from the factory.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Kombs is probably right - I didn’t realize at first that that kit has the Bilstein B4s.
If your front suspension is close to on its way out, I would take the opportunity to go Bilsteins all around with Eibach lowering springs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The XWD cars use self leveling shocks in the rear that’s why they are so much more expensive. You can convert the rear to regular shocks but you also need to replace the springs as the XWD springs won’t sit right with fwd shocks. Contact esaabparts and they will get you the kit you need to do the conversion. It’s cheaper than just one of the self leveling shocks.
I have installed this kit in a 2010 9-3X and is is no where near stock height as the guy told me. He sent a spacer and it is closer but NOT ideal. would like to find a suitable shock to fix this or I may just go back to stock

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have installed this kit in a 2010 9-3X and is is no where near stock height as the guy told me. He sent a spacer and it is closer but NOT ideal. would like to find a suitable shock to fix this or I may just go back to stock
I wouldn’t be surprised if they assumed the XWD specs were same as the 9-3X.
get a bigger spacer or swap for stiffer springs like the Eibachs would be my only recommendation. How much lower is the rear sitting?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Spoke with my mechanic and he's on board with the conversion. I made this spreadsheet which documents the price of sourcing parts vs the esaabparts kit. I'll update this thread when I finish the repair!

Thanks for the advice everyone

·
Registered
22 Posts
I wouldn’t be surprised if they assumed the XWD specs were same as the 9-3X.
get a bigger spacer or swap for stiffer springs like the Eibachs would be my only recommendation. How much lower is the rear sitting?
Like, 1”-1/2 or more. It looks like ***

stock

with kit, no spacer
DBD11629-2687-479F-9848-C8CAB22208B0.jpeg
B9830CAE-9A03-4EE7-896B-5BE90DE32A81.jpeg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts